THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BillyH- I guess we should answer your quest, The Minion Method is about fire control. By using a charcoal basket in the firebox, by loading it with unlit charcoal (Kingsford or lump) adding wood and the pour hot coals over the top of the unlit. You control the temp on the way up and can produce much longer than normal burns between refueling. Offsets can get 4 to 6 hours a lot cooks report. On a cooker like a WSM using Kingford I have gotten 20 plus hours burns of cooking temps, using 11 pounds of coals.
Hope that helps.

Jminion,
That makes since. And actually your post jogged my memory...(hard to do by the way) I seem to recall an article somewhere, a camping magazine I think, talking about the art of building a campfire. They started with the bigger logs on the bottom of the grate and for lack of better terms, had them laying parallel with some space between, lets say facing east<>west. The next logs, a little smaller went on top facing North<>south criss crossing the logs underneath, again parallel with space in between. They kept going up like this until finally the kindling was on top. They lit only the top kindling. As the top layers burnt and fell through, they started lighting the slightly bigger wood underneath. This theoreticly keeps going till finally all the logs have burnt thoroughly. Ive never tested this theory with a camp fire but I think I sure will with a smoker..

Back