THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Now why would you want to put slaw on this:

15gqz36.jpg
Oh Lord, let the games begin. :evil:

'Toast' - Hey dude, can't say I blame ya. That's a badass looking plate of food. Yea, I'm with you, big time.
I'm just trying to expand my culinary horizons. Haven't you ever said, "Oh wow, I wish I'd have know that sooner" with anything in life?
Yip, that's where I'm at with this slaw thing. Personally, I agree 100%. You wanna put cabbage on my pulled pork?!?!?!
But I figure I should give it a try, ya know? I've just trying to find out HOW I should go about it.

This sounds pretty awesome. Thanks man!

Here's my recipe.

This has been my go to slaw for years.

Ingredients:
One head chopped cabbage
1/2 cup vinegar - I use apple cider. Bragg's Organic is very good.
6 tbs sugar (Turbinado is great)
6 tbs EVOO
2 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp dried celery
1 ~ 2 tbs hot sauce to taste . (I've been using Sriracha lately)

Cooking Instructions:Combine vinegar, oil and other ingredients in a sealed jar and give it a vigorous shake. Pour over chopped cabbage and toss. Let sit in fridge for two hours or longer (Overnight if you can resist). Toss again before serving.

This will juice up quite a bit so you can use a slotted spoon to serve if you wish.

Smoked coleslaw

Smoked Slaw:
1/2 head savoy cabbage
Handful hickory wood chips
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
1/4 cup aioli*
1 shallot, grated
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Salt and pepper
Remove the core from the cabbage and julienne. To assemble the smoker, place the wood chips into a half hotel pan over high heat. After 2 minutes, the chips will start to smolder. Place some ice into a perforated pan of the same size and cover with a layer of plastic wrap. Place the perforated pan with the ice and the cabbage onto the pan with the chips and cover with tin foil. Allow the smoke to permeate the cabbage for 4 minutes. Remove from the pan and place directly into a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper. Cool and reserve.

I saw this on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. I made it for a party once and it was a big hit. A totally different kind of slaw. Not creamy like regular coleslaw.

Did I ever tell you Farkers about my near death experience??? There was this intense bright light shining in the distance. I couldn't tell what it was until it got closer. It was coming from the SLAW on top of The Great PP Sammie In The Sky!!!!!! I woke up and have never had a bare sammie since. :mrgreen:

As a young child growing up in Alabama I refused to eat BBQ of any type. My parents always tried to get me hooked; but it just didn't work. I found BBQ to be too spicy (hot). When I was about ten years of age, they got me to try a pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw. I thought it was one of the best things I had ever tasted.

Sixty odd years later, I enjoy all types of BBQ. I don't "need" coleslaw; but if it is available, it will go onto my pulled pork sandwich.

Making good coleslaw isn't rocket science; but it can easily be ruined if it isn't sweet enough. I hate bitter coleslaw; and have been known to add sugar packets to some that I have had in restaurants.

I had never heard of slaw on pulled pork until I was working in this one diner and we had a boat load of left over roast pork from a dinner special. We threw it in a pan, added sauce, served it on a bun as pulled pork. The chef added coleslaw to the sandwiches. I thought that was so strange. Turned out to taste pretty darned good. Now I can take it or leave it. I like to have things separate to enjoy the taste of each.

I get it based on tradition - in certain places this has been done for a long time. It strikes me that someone first did this to add something to bad pulled pork. The flavor of cole slaw (and cabbage itself) is so strong, I think it is too overwhelming.

But we all have our own way. At the risk of being called a heretic, one variant I'd offer for pulled pork is a light application of my favorite BBQ sauce (which is both sweet & spicy) with a nice slice of cheddar cheese melted over it, topped off with some homemade onion straws. Great flavors I love, but they accent the PP without masking it.

Good words guys, thanks for keepin' it going.
I love some cheese on my PP sammie.
In fact, just the other day I posted a photo of a PP sammie that had diced pepperoncini peppers, shredded cheddar and was put on the panini press.
I was half surprised I wasn't blasted for the addition of the cheese. hahaha

Back