Slaw on pulled pork ?!?! WHAT??????

"Variety is the spice of life" - Sometimes I like my PP nekkid, sometimes a creamy slaw, like some of the recipes mentioned and sometimes a vinegar slaw:
Green cabbage, carrots, cider vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, kosher salt, crushed red pepper flakes, black pepper, caraway seed, celery seed.
I'm also looking forward to trying the "Spicy Lexington Red Slaw" from "Wicked Good Barbecue".

I don't think you can go wrong whatever you try - As long as there's Pulled Pork in it, you're onto a winner!

Very common in North Alabama, although as you go towards South Alabama it becomes less common. I grew up in Anniston and had never seen it. Moved to Huntsville and that is all they had. I can take it either way, and either type of coleslaw ( vinegar or mayo ).

I prefer the term bonita flakes!
They are usually made from Skip-jack tuna although sometimes called oceanic bonito.Larger true bonitos are so strong in flavor they are almost inedible.The very small ones are equal to a bluefin in oil content (around 25%)and are good.When we catch them out in the Atlantic we will cut them in strips for bait or through them back.Big nuisance fish.

Interesting thread. I'm originally from Georgia, and the cole slaw I am used to is finely ground (not really shredded) cabbage, ground onion, a little mayo, sugar and salt. (To be honest - I've never made it - but I'm pretty sure that's how my family makes it.)

It's got a little onion "twang" and a hint (just a hint mind you) of sweetness.

Anyway, I like that slaw on my PP (actually, chopped pork) sandwiches. And, several of the places in GA where I eat BBQ serve it that way. Dang it! Now I'm hungry! And feeling a need to make a road trip. :becky:

Interesting thread. I'm originally from Georgia, and the cole slaw I am used to is finely ground (not really shredded) cabbage,

Yep. I use the red disc. :mrgreen:

shredder1_zps9563fa32.jpg

:thumb:

Sweet creamy slaw on PP...

I gotta agree with this guy.

I like mine with OR without slaw. I thought it was weird until I tried it...but that creamy crunchy slaw adds a nice texture and contrast to the salty vinegary soft pork.

ALWAYS LEAVE YOUR SLAW SIT OVERNIGHT! It's way better the next day!

When i first learned how to smoke different meats low and slow in my UDS that i build.(thanks for this site)
We had at least 10 different bottles of sauces to try with the PP. Then i read someones post of only using
slaw. I prepped a picnic for the smoker and asked the wife to make some slaw. She didn't care for the idea of not using any sauce only slaw. Her Eyes rolled back into her head after a couple of bites. And now we only have pp with slaw at our house. When Mama's happy,life is good.

Wow, four pages. Thanks guys!
I've never eaten slaw, but due to the amount of times I've heard y'all talk about it, I figured I should give it a shot. Honestly, there's not a single ingredient in slaw that appeals to me, but like was said earlier, it's the "total package" of combined flavors and textures that create what we like to eat.

Making it sounds easy enough, only a few ingredients will make a simple enough slaw to give it a shot.
Thanks again fellas. i'll letcha know what the family thinks of it. Which, by the way, I haven't sprung this idea on them. I have no doubt it'll be met with some resistance. ha ha ha

Here's my recipe.

This has been my go to slaw for years.

Ingredients:
One head chopped cabbage
1/2 cup vinegar - I use apple cider. Bragg's Organic is very good.
6 tbs sugar (Turbinado is great)
6 tbs EVOO
2 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp dried celery
1 ~ 2 tbs hot sauce to taste . (I've been using Sriracha lately)

Cooking Instructions:Combine vinegar, oil and other ingredients in a sealed jar and give it a vigorous shake. Pour over chopped cabbage and toss. Let sit in fridge for two hours or longer (Overnight if you can resist). Toss again before serving.

This will juice up quite a bit so you can use a slotted spoon to serve if you wish.

I happen to love slaw, so that informs some of this statement.

I eat slaw on almost any sandwich I enjoy, it is an all-in-one addition to any sandwich. I especially like it on burgers, thin sliced brisket, pulled pork, pork cutlet, and fried chicken sandwiches.

Perhaps the original intention was to add another dimension and a cooling effect to what maybe a several dimension PP effect( many mitigating factors in terms of recipe of pork) as well as a crunch factor. I like it and use it.

Back