Simple Brisket...

Looks tasty! :hungry:

The "fast" part was 4 hrs., what temp. was the "hot" part?
No thermometer on the cooker I was using on this cook.... But I'm going to guess about 350 or so because I can cook 2 nine pound pork butts to fall apart consistency in about 6-7 hours at the same time. Not really sure why the brisket cooked so much faster. Guess I just got one that had the right mixture of characteristics. I know every now and then I get a pork butt that will be a little smaller or even the same size as the rest and it will take quite a bit longer to finish than its counterparts cooking at the same time.

Looks pretty good to me the mustard is killing your smoke ring you really don't need it unless your grilling Hotdogs. Putting it on Cold will help also, and switch to butcher paper

S&P 300 DEG Butcher paper

Looks pretty good to me the mustard is killing your smoke ring you really don't need it unless your grilling Hotdogs. Putting it on Cold will help also, and switch to butcher paper

S&P 300 DEG Butcher paper
Was just using mustard to bind the seasoning on there since I didn't do any marinade or injection. I didn't know it would shield the smoke ring though. Guess I will need to change the gameplan a bit.

How long did you rest the brisket after you pulled it off the smoker. Since you were in a hurry, did you even get to rest it at all? If not, that would definitely affect tenderness and juiciness.

How long did you rest the brisket after you pulled it off the smoker. Since you were in a hurry, did you even get to rest it at all? If not, that would definitely affect tenderness and juiciness.
Didn't rest it but about 10 or 15 minutes. I know I should have let it set longer but daggum, the youngins were hungry and it was a school nite.:biggrin1: It was mighty tasty and juicy and tender as it was... Only can imagine how much better it would have been if it had been allowed to rest a little more.

Didn't rest it but about 10 or 15 minutes. I know I should have let it set longer but daggum, the youngins were hungry and it was a school nite.:biggrin1: It was mighty tasty and juicy and tender as it was... Only can imagine how much better it would have been if it had been allowed to rest a little more.

Yep. Sometimes there just isn't time. I've just started to experiment w/ hot and fast and read that an even longer rest is necessary when you do that. I'm glad your brisket turned out good regardless.

Smoke on, Brudha!

I pretty much do this ,,,Now LOL with great results... Jus sayin...Have fun I Have been !

From Bludawg....

BBQ RULES

"YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMP OR BY TIME(XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL!"For a Brisket that is probe tender, Pork Butts when the Bone wiggles lose, Ribs pass the Bend Test. These are the only reliable methods to indicate the proper time to declare the cook completed with success.

Last edited:
Back