Sides for Christmas Day Rib Roast?

SmokeFan

Full Fledged Farker
Picked up a nice 9 lb bone in rib roast at Costco today for Christmas Day Dinner with the family. Planning doing something to similar to the amazingribs.com write up for prime rib, but am hitting a wall on sides. My usuals would be mashed or twice baked taters, roasted carrots, and maybe a salad. But that just seems so bleh to me right now.

This year I want to mix it up, and try something new. But, I'm having a complete block on what. Good casseroles, unique veggie preps, whatever your favorites are. I need some good suggestions!

Calling on the brethren to inspire! And if you got pron, well, we all like pron.

Thanks!!

We do Yorkshire puddings, green beans with a warm bacon vinaigrette, rice and mashed potatoes (some folks don't like rice with roast), Brussels sprouts in white wine and butter and pies.

Creamed spinach, Yorkshire pudding, and Pommes (Potatoes) Anna.

Creamed Spinach

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 1 clove garlic, pressed
  • 1/2 sweet white onion, minced
  • 2 bunches spinach, stemmed and chopped
  • 3 tablespoons freshly grated Romano cheese

Directions

Melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until smooth. Add the milk and nutmeg and whisk constantly until the mixture thickens.

Heat the oil in a medium saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and onions and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the chopped spinach and cook until warmed through and wilted. Stir the spinach into the milk mixture. Top with the cheese and serve.

bbb_zps6754a50c.png

Pommes Anna (sounds harder than it is)
Ingredients

• 3 pounds russet potatoes or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick on a mandolin.
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup peanut oil, plus additional for greasing cookie sheet
  • Salt and fresh ground pepper
Instructions

Toss potato slices with melted butter in large bowl until potatoes are evenly coated.

Adjust the oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees.
Pour oil into 10-inch heavy-bottomed seasoned iron skillet or ovenproof nonstick skillet; swirl to coat pan bottom and set skillet over medium-low heat. Begin timing, and arrange potato slices in skillet, starting in center and working out, just to overlap the adjacent potato to form first layer. Sprinkle evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and ground black pepper or to taste. Arrange second layer of potatoes, working in opposite direction of first layer and sprinkle evenly with 1/4 teaspoon salt and ground black pepper. Repeat, layering potatoes in opposite directions and sprinkling with salt and pepper, until no slices remain. Continue to cook over medium-low heat until 30 minutes elapse from the time you began arranging potatoes in skillet.

Using bottom of 9 or 10-inch cheesecake pan, press potatoes down firmly to compact. Cover skillet and place in oven. Bake until potatoes begin to soften, about 15 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake until potatoes are tender when a paring knife is inserted in the center and the edges are browned, about 10 minutes longer. Meanwhile, line rimless cookie sheet or back of baking sheet with foil and coat very lightly with oil. Drain off excess fat from potatoes by pressing potatoes into skillet with bottom of cheesecake pan while tilting skillet to pour off the fat.

Set foil-lined cookie sheet on top of skillet. Wearing oven mitts, hold the cookie sheet in place with one hand and carefully invert skillet and cookie sheet together. Carefully slide the potatoes from the cookie sheet to a serving platter.

a_zps71230bb2.jpg

We are going to do some form of potato, maybe asparagus, and maybe a mushroom side that we like. Also probably some Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits.

Back