Sides for a Texas style BBQ

All good suggestions. I'm going with Bigmista's sweet potatoes and collards. The corn coins idea from paperboy98 is going to go on the grill. The wife be damned I'm serving beans also.

I was just at the store and they only had one bunch of collards so I bought it and a bunch of mustard greens. I'll mix them up together. Grilled Japs are always on the menu when I grill. I have so many plants in the garden that I give away more peppers than my family can eat.

Last edited by a moderator:
All good suggestions. I'm going with Bigmista's sweet potatoes and collards. The corn coins idea from paperboy98 is going to go on the grill. The wife be damned I'm serving beans also.

I was just at the store and they only had one bunch of collards so I bought it and a bunch of mustard greens. I'll mix them up together. Grilled Japs are always on the menu when I grill. I have so many plants in the garden that I give away more peppers than my family can eat.

Atta boy, cowboy. Gotta have the bullets at the party ya know!:thumb: Greens are good for you too. Kale makes for some great greens too. With all those 'penos in the garden, a good pico de gallo would go along with it as well, kinda Tex Mexish!

Bob

Maque Chou

I had to look that up because I've never heard of it. I'll definitely add that to my recipe book.

I'm thinking a nice smoked Cajun meatloaf served with Maque Chou is next on the menu.

a loaf or two of sourdough with garlic butter is an easy side that most people enjoy. You could add some cheese for cheesy bread also.

Roasted quartered new potatoes with lg diced red onion , garlic , a little fresh rosemary , salt, pepper and drizzled with olive oil. Add some feta cheese toward the end...

Someone earlier suggested Pintos. Still beans, but a different type and prep. Tuna Mac salad is one I get requests for. I do a potato dish that is pretty easy, and always goes over well;

Preheat your oven to 400*
Also preheat an oven safe skillet or cast iron frying pan.
Slice a mess of red skin potatoes and baby yukon gold potatoes pretty thin.
Take a medium small onion , cut in half, and slice thin into half moon shape.
Mince a few cloves of garlic.
When the skillet is hot, add some bacon grease.
Layer the potatoes on the bottom of the pan till covered.
Add the onions and garlic.
Layer the rest of the potatoes on top. Salt and pepper.
Cover the skillet and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes.
Put in the hot oven, covered, for 20 minutes.
Remove cover and sprinkle your favorite cheese over the top(I like mild cheddar and Jack).
Put back in the oven uncovered to melt the cheese.
Turn out on a plate and blot excess grease from the bottom. Flip cheese side up and cut with a pizza cutter.

You can layer in other veggies to this (zucchini, bell peppers, chilies if you like it spicy). Just don't make it too thick.

I have come to this thread late and all per above are great ideas and suggestions;
Just one more thing that I can think of........

At least one loaf of Mrs. Baird's bread.:thumb:
(For Ninnie's sake.)

Back