School me on Texas chili

Learning to BBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
I recently stole some brisket at an unheard of price around here. Smoked one up last weekend (only my second one ever) and turned out awesome. Even the Mrs said it was the best thing to come off the drum yet:clap2:

We ate from the thicker end of the flat. The thin end is pretty thin so I assume it'll probably be a tad overdone so I saved it for chili. She is on Keto and loves chili so I asked her if I could make her a Texas chili with no beans and she approved. Only problem is I know nothing about it besides it has no beans. So I turn to the Brethren to help me understand what makes a Texas chili. What replaces the beans? I assume peppers are involved probably? What else? Or is it just a MSU pot, which I guess is what chili basically is? Any and all pointers would be most appreciated.

1 32oz Jar Mateo Medium Salsa
Couple cans of your favorite tomato sauce, no salt added
Can or two diced tomatos, if you like tomato chunks
1 lb cooked/drained ground beef
The chopped brisket you have
1-2 cups beef broth. Maybe cup or two more depending on how much meat.
4 TBS SuckleBusters chili seasoning to start with, I'd probably add 2 more TBS during the 6 hours in crock pot, or more to taste.
Turn down to low after everything hot, maybe 4 hours in.

For us, its the SuckleBusters that makes our chili Texas.

Whoops, just noticed Canada. Not sure you can easily obtain SuckleBusters, a Texas staple, but Mateo might be at your Walmart.

And Salsa in chili is a BBQChef (our founder's) staple which every Texan knows, Texas chili originated in Illinois before we transported it to Long Island for Phil to add salsa

4 TBS SuckleBusters chili seasoning to start with, I'd probably add 2 more TBS during the 6 hours in crock pot, or more to taste.

Whoops, just noticed Canada. Not sure you can easily obtain SuckleBusters, a Texas staple, but Mateo might be at your Walmart.

And Salsa in chili is a BBQChef (our founder's) staple which every Texan knows, Texas chili originated in Illinois before we transported it to Long Island for Phil to add salsa

Bookmarked this for my next batch.

No Sucklebusters and no Mateo..............Guess I'm out of luck trying to make Texas chili :mad:

redsaws-jpg.493930

It's just beef and chiles. Pasillas ^ and guajillos are super mild (between banana peppers and poblanos) and are good for the bulk. Everyone always loves ancho-heavy stuff, very strong plum/dark-fruity flavor. Adjust actual spiciness with more potent chiles like de arbols. Cascabel's (round/bell-shaped dried chiles that rattle) are one of my "secrets", earthier flavor than anchos that works very well in chili.

Been making this for probably more than 20 years. What I do different is I use a bunch of different chile's. Mixture of mild, medium & hot. Cubanelle's, anaheim, pablano, jalapeno, habanero, etc. Whatever you can find at the market. LOTS of chile flavor and control your heat level with the amount of hot peppers you add. I also cut the pork into smaller pieces or if I'm lazy I'll use ground pork. It's chili, it's not rocket science.

Kit Anderson's Bad Attitude Chili

2 lbs pork roast -- cut into 1" pieces
2 lbs cheap ground beef -- (You'll need the fat. This isn't health food.)
1/2 cup GOOD chile powder -- (Your local supermarket brand tastes like cardboard.)
1 HUGE onion -- roughly chopped
1 head garlic -- minced
8 New Mexican green chiles -- roasted, peeled, seeded, chopped.
1 Tbl hot Hungarian paprika -- (This is legal. Paprika is a chile.)
1 Tbl ground cumin
4 beef boullion cubes
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes -- (Don't worry. You won't even know they are there.)
1 bottle amber Mexican beer -- (Dos Equiis, Noche Buena, or any Oktoberfest will do.)
1/4 cup bourbon -- (This is one of those things that just happened.)
2 squares bitter baker's chocolate -- (Not as weird as it sounds.)
salt to taste

Sautee 1/4 of the garlic and onions until translucent. Add 1/4 of the meat, chile powder and brown. Salt the meat while cooking. Put into your chili pot. Cast iron is best. Repeat until all the meat is done. Put the rest of the ingredients in you chili pot and simmer for for a hour. As in any recipe, the amount of ingredients is variable. Add more of anything you want, especially chiles.

Bill is giving you some kind of yankee chili. With good intention I mighty add. You ever tasted a Chicago hot dog? Please.

The only thing Texas about my quick chili was the SuckleBusters.

That was just chili without beans with some Texas seasonings.

I intended to type that, but my post had an intermission to let the dog in and I lost my complete train of thought.

All I was getting at was a low carb chili recipe to try, with a slight Texas bent.

And for the hot dog comment, the "drag it through the garden" type you are referring to is not what most Chicagoans of my era and prior grew up on. Look up Chicago Depression hot dog and that was more of the style I grew up on.

Like Deep Dish pizza, the tourists love it and think they are eating a Chicago favorite. It's not. Look up Chicago tavern style pizza. That is what most of us grew up and eat. I've had the same order for 45+ years, Large Sausage, Well Done, from one of 1,000's of neighborhood non chain family owned places.

But I digress.

Hope you can find a true Texas chili you can recreate from scratch LTQ, I never heard of salsa in chili until I went to BBQChef's in 2004 or so. I've never looked back and incorporated it from that day forward, courtesy of some Brethren learning

i would never knock the idea of deep-dish/fork & knife pizza-lasagna (though detroit-style says "pizza" much more to me), or those delicious salad hot dogs, but I would have to agree about tavern's ubiquity. While it may not have started in Chicago, it is absolutely Midwest pizza*, with Chicago obviously being the Midwest metropolis. I do like those depression dogs, too. I probably get more italian combo sandwiches than any other sandwich, though. For those that haven't had the pleasure, they feature a salzeecha/italian sausage link in addition to roast beef.

*I like our crunchy, cracker-thin HEAVY oregano'd St. Louis style best

Thanks for all the input guys! I have lots to work with now. A lot of the ingredients and peppers are not available here so I will just work with what is available. I got a couple of jalapenos and found some si****os at the store. Got some home grown cayennes in the freezer if I need more heat. It'll be a frankenstein Texas chili for sure :wink:

I recently stole some brisket at an unheard of price around here. Smoked one up last weekend (only my second one ever) and turned out awesome. Even the Mrs said it was the best thing to come off the drum yet:clap2:

We ate from the thicker end of the flat. The thin end is pretty thin so I assume it'll probably be a tad overdone so I saved it for chili. She is on Keto and loves chili so I asked her if I could make her a Texas chili with no beans and she approved. Only problem is I know nothing about it besides it has no beans. So I turn to the Brethren to help me understand what makes a Texas chili. What replaces the beans? I assume peppers are involved probably? What else? Or is it just a MSU pot, which I guess is what chili basically is? Any and all pointers would be most appreciated.

Use some of the recipes above.They look legit.Then cook a pot of pinto beans.When you are finished with the chili cook and the pinto beans are ready,bake a skillet of cornbread.Spoon your bowl 2/3 full of Texas Chili,fill the other 1/3 of the bowl with the pinto beans.Slice you a nice sized piece of your cornbread and enjoy REAL chili.Just my opinion.Chili without beans is spaghetti sauce.

Chili without beans is spaghetti sauce.

Ya, if you make it wrong.. (or make some hot spaghetti) LOL. I kid, and almost always make it with beans myself, but there's some seriousness too. "Texas Chili" can be awesome- It is just carne adovada with beef instead of pork shoulder, cuz Texas. Don't need tomatoes at all

45R6STQW3Z37YATZ2EEES3HBKU.jpg

Thanks for all the input guys! I have lots to work with now. A lot of the ingredients and peppers are not available here so I will just work with what is available. I got a couple of jalapenos and found some si****os at the store. Got some home grown cayennes in the freezer if I need more heat. It'll be a frankenstein Texas chili for sure :wink:

A lot of folks have trouble finding ingredients locally.

There are some well known spice shops for online purchases.

https://www.mildbillsspices.com/

https://www.penzeys.com/

https://www.thespicehouse.com/

https://penderys.com/

https://www.fiestaspices.com/

Back