Should I join KCBS?

Joined today

Well, it took me a few days, but I finally got around to applying for membership in the KCBS.

While I know some think that this was an unnecessary move - and/or a waste of money - I truly believe that if I am going to enjoy competing in KCBS sanctioned events - and if I want to have some legitimate say in things - I should join. My small entry fee won't make or break the organization, but I think it is the right thing to do.

I know that, according to posts in this forum, there are some things people don't like. I'm not sure what those things are - but will keep my eyes open and make my own decisions - and will be active in improving the organization in any way possible.

Thanks for all the prior input.

Congratulations "chambersuac"!

I believe in doing all that I can to advance the world of competitive barbecue and joining the KCBS is just one of those ways (IMHO).

Good luck!

Dave-
I think if you want to take advantage of any of the KCBS member benefits... ToY, team bios, discount program, bullsheet, etc. you need to be a paying member. ToY - is a KCBS program, therefore you should be a member to be a part of it.

If you just want to compete occasionally, and dont care about any of the KCBS benefits, then don't join... but don't try to ride any KCBS sponsored things. Things like the ranchers reserve and sam's sponsorships, as well as the kingsford tie in... are all KCBS benefits.. so those would be differentiators to join up. (IMO)

Great Organization

The KCBS has been great to work with, well worth the fee. We have been involved in many sports, but have found BBQ to be an awsome group of people to be involved with. We judge, cook, and organize. The support from other BBQ'rs as well as the KCBS has been more than we expected. We truly love our BBQ family.

With a group of people and organization as large as this, there will always be disagreements. Good healthy debate will move the overall sport forward, not everybody will be happy with everything.

For the size of the organization and it's resources, KCBS performs well. Looking at the number of sanctioned events, members, judges, can't imagine how so few people keep it all straight, let alone getting out the Bullsheet, elections, etc. That said, there is always room for improvement and always someone to let you know where that is.

Back