Should I get a new smoker....?

MaximumJEFF

Full Fledged Farker
Obviously, YES!

Please help me decide.
I currently have an offset, an Akorn, and a UDS. So, I'm thinking I'll go with a pellet pooper this time. I'll be keeping it in my toy hauler to mainly take with me on weekends when I'm working out of town. But, do plan to do a few competitions with it also.

I'm leaning toward the Traeger 34. But, am also considering the GMG Jim Bowie. My local bbq shop has a few Jim Bowies with damaged boxes and are offering $50 off. So, we're only talking $150 difference.

What do you think? Is it worth the $$$?
Thanks in advance!

I’ll wait till the Traeger bashing subsides a bit before I tell you that I have owned my Traeger pro 22 for 5 years now with zero problems. Yes there are better pellet grills out there, but mine suits me fine for what I use it for. If I ever decide to replace it, I will probably go with a Mak.

Would hold out for that new MAK that rwalters is testing out. That thing looks awesome.
Rwalters is testing an $8000+ cooker. That's some serious holding out in a Traeger or Jim Bowie price range. :-D

I do not have nor have any intention of buying a pellet grill.BUT,if I were,from what I have seen and read,it would be a MAK.But yes,you should buy a new cooker.You should ALWAYS buy a new cooker.Whatever style it is.If you do not like it sell it and buy another one/type/style.It is a journey.Do not be deterred!

I'd like to get in on the MAK group buy but, it would have to be 50% off to get into the high end of the price range I'm looking at. And, I don't really want to wait 4-6 weeks.

I'd like to get in on the MAK group buy but, it would have to be 50% off to get into the high end of the price range I'm looking at. And, I don't really want to wait 4-6 weeks.

I understand completely friend.Have you looked at RecTech? That would probably be my second choice.Understand this is coming from someone that has no interest or desire to own a pellet grill.My advice is worth exactly what it cost you.

I’ll second the CampChef if a MAK 1 star is out of the question. I’ve had 4 Traegers and they were fine, but the support was garbage when I needed it. The CampChef has better features, you can mount a SearBox or Side Kick to it for more versatility right in one footprint (like a griddle for breakfast when you’re traveling). I also thought it cooked a little better, but unless you run them side by side hard to claim with certainty.

There’s no comparison in quality between GMG, Traeger or CampChef versus MAK. I just got my MAK yesterday and it’s a tank.

Asking this question here seems a bit like walking into an alchy bar and asking the drunks if you should order a drink. :p

Just my 2 cents

I am just getting on the pellet cooker bandwagon with a gift I received (Traeger Pro 34). In the short time I have had it there has been no issues but I do have a little shop vac and I clean it after each cook.
With that said we have enjoyed it obviously not as good as our Deep South GC28 cooker but neverless we have enjoyed the Traeger.

To add we do plan on selling this Traeger pro 34 in the near future to purchase a higher quality one and this is not bashing the Traeger at all.
MAK
Yoder YS640
Myron Mixon
Is my top 3 choices as of right now for when we do purchase another one.

I love my RecTeq and would not hesitate in the least to put it up against another pellet grill in it's price range. As far as the Camp Chef sear box, if you want that I have seen numerous people mount that to the RT 590. If you want the smaller one for camping I have heard good things about the 340. Good Luck, but like it has already been mentioned. Yes get a new smoker!

Rec Teq 590 comes in at under $1000. Very well built and excellent quality. Made in China and not a Mak but for the price is is very hard to beat. A step above GMG and Camp Chef in quality but either one of those would be fine too in your price range. As sweetheat says, the 340 would be more mobile but it all depends on how much space you need on the grill.

For a mobile pellet grill the Grilla Grills chimp would be a good option too. Quality is probably on par with Rec Teq

Another vote for the Rec Tec 590. On top of everything else their costumer service is outstanding

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't looked at Camp Chef before. Their Vertical smoker looks to be a good fit for me.

I have the camp chef xxl and while the capacity is great, it’s pretty cheaply made. I haven’t cooked in it yet but I did the burn in and played with it a little. Pretty much all of the smoke leaks out around the door instead of going out the vent. Like I said, I haven’t cooked with it, so I’m not sure if this is a problem or not. If it is it could probably be fixed pretty easily with some gasket material around the door. Just wanted to let you know so you have an idea of what you would be getting.

P.s. I believe the camp chef pellet grills are better made than the xxl cabinet.

P.s.s. The app worked well for me.

Last edited:
Back