Should I get a WSM?

Which "vault" would you recommend? :idea:

I don't know. Surely one exists. If not, someone (Weber?) should make a good one and fill the void.

The WSM is a GREAT bullet. And it does "set it and forget it" foods best. But not everything you will want to make will fall into that category.
~Kai

I don't know. Surely one exists. If not, someone (Weber?) should make a good one and fill the void.

The WSM is a GREAT bullet. And it does "set it and forget it" foods best. But not everything you will want to make will fall into that category.
~Kai

I thought so. :blah:

I thought so. :blah:

I am not familiar with this unit but it falls into the right price range:
http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa...=16&selectedSKU=0262-40121-0835&lnkSRC=HMR2P2

This is a cheap, flawed and flimsy vault. I like its design but not its quality:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brinkmann-Split-Door-Smoker/10854142

It seems to me that the vault design is more user friendly and versatile than the bullets. Why aren't there more "good" ones out there? Why haven't consumers and manufacturers embraced the design? Other than crappy quality, what's wrong with them?
~Kai

Kai, there is not one that I know of that is of the quality of a WSM. All of the ones I know of are more than $300, mostly a lot more. That being said, yes, it would be great if there was a way to get a cabinet type with two doors. I suspect Weber could do it, if any company could. But, then again, they couldn't get the door on the 22.5 WSM to seal right for the price.

I am not familiar with this unit but it falls into the right price range:
http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa...=16&selectedSKU=0262-40121-0835&lnkSRC=HMR2P2

This is a cheap, flawed and flimsy vault. I like its design but not its quality:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brinkmann-Split-Door-Smoker/10854142

It seems to me that the vault design is more user friendly and versatile than the bullets. Why aren't there more "good" ones out there? Why haven't consumers and manufacturers embraced the design? Other than crappy quality, what's wrong with them?
~Kai

Kai, this is the BBQ-Brethren and everybody has a dream. However, what you are suggesting is not practical. Like I and others have said, you cannot buy anything on the market that has more bang for the buck than a WSM. Sometimes you just have to listen to more experienced folks.

And no, this cannot touch a WSM:

0262-40121-0835-000-p1.jpg

Last edited:
Kai, this is the BBQ-Brethren and everybody has a dream. However, what you are suggesting is not practical. Like I and others have said, you cannot buy anything on the market that has more bang for the buck than a WSM. Sometimes you just have to listen to more experienced folks.

And no, [photo of the Academy] this cannot touch a WSM:

Caseydog asked, "Should I get a WSM?" 4 pages of replies passed around the Weber koolaid. I pointed out its limitations. For that, you attacked my credibility by implying that I'm less experienced.

Is that what the BBQ-Brethren is all about?

-----

Returning to the WSM, Caseydog, now I see that you have a long list of hardware in your signature. If you want to add a WSM then go for it. Despite its shortcomings, the WSM is a great "set it and forget it" unit. Perhaps none better. Fortunately, you've got others to make other types of food. If it were your ONLY piece, I would continue to suggest that you find something more versatile.
~Kai

Caseydog asked, "Should I get a WSM?" 4 pages of replies passed around the Weber koolaid. I pointed out its limitations. For that, you attacked my credibility by implying that I'm less experienced.

Is that what the BBQ-Brethren is all about?

:drama:

Wow! This thread sure went south...lighten up people...the question is "Should I get a WSM?"...most pro WSM folks would say yes...most non WSM folks would say no...the WSM is agreat little smoker...but it is not the end all to smokers. Every smoker out there has it's quirks and differences...buy what you can afford...or build what you can afford and learn to use it. Good BBQ can be done on ANY smoker...it's not the pit...it's the Pit Master...:cool:

Im sure you can find people who think that a throw away grill can be a great smoker. It is a matter of opinions and you know what opinions are like. The WSM is an awesome smoker, no doubt about it. So is the UDS and a lot of others. WSM just happens to be my favorite so of course im gonna say yes, get one.

Defending my "DUMB design" statement...

Let's say you want to mop, flip, turn or otherwise manipulate the food on the second rack.

With a bullet such as a WSM:
1. Have a large clean heat-proof grease-proof place to put the lid so it won't leave a greasy ring on your deck.
2. Remove it and put it there.
3. Have a large clean heat-proof grease-proof place to put the top rack and whatever food is on it.
4. Carefully remove it and put it there.
5. Do what's necessary to the food on the lower rack.
6. Carefully replace the top rack and whatever food is on it.
7. Replace the lid.
8. Clean up the grease-proof surface you put the top rack/food on earlier.
9. Might as well clean up the lid ring while you're at it.

With a vault:
1. Open the door.
2. Reach in and do what ya gotta.
3. Close the door.

Blasphemy? You decide. :eek:P
~Kai

Got that, I call it the kettle.

Wow! This thread sure went south...lighten up people...the question is "Should I get a WSM?"...most pro WSM folks would say yes...most non WSM folks would say no...the WSM is agreat little smoker...but it is not the end all to smokers. Every smoker out there has it's quirks and differences...buy what you can afford...or build what you can afford and learn to use it. Good BBQ can be done on ANY smoker...it's not the pit...it's the Pit Master...:cool:

My thoughts exactly. Passion is a funny thing in a forum such as this.

Kai, it's not a Brethren issue, it's just BBQ. You'll always find a lot of people who are passionate about a given product so it's hard to express any opinion to the contrary. The more direct you are about your opinion, such as calling a design dumb, the harder you're going to get pushed back on. You've got to temper your position and watch what you say.

I went on SMF at one point and proclaimed that "I don't care for Jeff's rub" and all the fanbois decided to lambast me, even though I chose a sensitive apporoach. The comments got so bad that they had to close the thread. If you want fanbois and koolaid, SMF is the place to be.

Brethren isn't SMF and, while you may not agree with how the WSM is being defended, keep in mind that you may have offended the legion of WSM owners by saying it's a dumb design.

Stick around and give it a chance and I think that you'll find that this is the place to be.

Oh and Jeff's Rub Is effing terrible. Subscribe here and get far better recipes for free.

I should also point out that I've spent more than $5,000 on smokers and far prefer my WSM over any of them. I agree that the WSM has it's issues, and I despise using the second grid, but I think it's such an amazing smoker for the money.

One of the smokers I had was a very highly regarded cabinet smoker. It was IMPOSSIBLE to access that beloved lower compartment without getting ash all over the ground. That was just one of many issues.

Back