Should I get a WSM?

CD, I have been giving this a lot of thought, and no, you should not get one. You are good enough to cook everything on a kettle. Instead, you should buy it and have it sent to me. I need a WSM

Thanks for all the replies. I'll probably go ahead and get one.

I would consider a UDS, but all my building skills are with wood. Same goes for tools.

Besides, I have a long and happy history with Weber products.

I would rarely need a 22 inch WSM. I do fairly small amounts at a time, and I will have my OTG and cheap cabinet as backups, if I do a big cook.

CD

If I can build an UDS everybody can!

Go and get a 18,5" WSM...that's enough grill space besides the other Q's.

The WSM is the best bang for the buck. You won't be sorry.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0369.jpg

pork%20butt%2023.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0249.jpg

If I can build an UDS everybody can!

Go and get a 18,5" WSM...that's enough grill space besides the other Q's.

I would want to build a perfect UDS in one weeked. I do not have the patience for the learning curve. As a freelance photogrpher and artist, I have to focus on getting more work to survive. I barely have time for my primary hobby, camping. I just do not have time for any more projects. I am up to my eyeballs in projects.

CD

This may be sacrilege but I think the bullet design is... well... DUMB. You have to half-disassemble the darn thing to get at the food on the lower rack. Think about the steps involved. Not everything you're going to make in there will be a "set it and forget it" recipe or food item.

Look around for a vertical vault with two doors -- one to access your fuel/water and another that provides quick and easy access to ALL of your food, not just the top layer.

This may be sacrilege but I think the bullet design is... well... DUMB. You have to half-disassemble the darn thing to get at the food on the lower rack. Think about the steps involved. Not everything you're going to make in there will be a "set it and forget it" recipe or food item.

Look around for a vertical vault with two doors -- one to access your fuel/water and another that provides quick and easy access to ALL of your food, not just the top layer.

Blasphemy! All you have to do is lift out the top rack.

the 22 is HUGE! it's kinda like you wanna play guitar with a couple friends and you need a basic amp and everyone says "you can't go wrong with a marshall stack. it sounds great" well true.. but..

if you plan on smoking about once a month, ribs here, maybe a shoulder. maybe a couple birds, the 18 should be enough.

as for the 22 door fit, that is one of my pet peeves to this day. I was the engineer who designed the 22, the 18 upgrades, the 26 kettle and a few other things.

what bothered me is that they never had a master model maker do the work on the die that stamps out the door. they just wanted an electronic file. I tried explaining the compound radius and how it has to compress and take shape (liek the 18 does) but they never bother. So shoddy. Just after that hit the market we parted ways.

either way though.. 18 or 22 you can't go wrong.

the 22 is HUGE! it's kinda like you wanna play guitar with a couple friends and you need a basic amp and everyone says "you can't go wrong with a marshall stack. it sounds great" well true.. but..

if you plan on smoking about once a month, ribs here, maybe a shoulder. maybe a couple birds, the 18 should be enough.

as for the 22 door fit, that is one of my pet peeves to this day. I was the engineer who designed the 22, the 18 upgrades, the 26 kettle and a few other things.

what bothered me is that they never had a master model maker do the work on the die that stamps out the door. they just wanted an electronic file. I tried explaining the compound radius and how it has to compress and take shape (liek the 18 does) but they never bother. So shoddy. Just after that hit the market we parted ways.

either way though.. 18 or 22 you can't go wrong.

Hey whats up MD! It's the guy who posted the pictures of the 18 and 22 door on the other site. :thumb:

I know a lot of folks prefer to just leave the door alone and remove the top rack, but not only do I spritz and check meat through it, I sometimes will pull ribs or chicken pieces out through it, too, or at least rib tips.

It just depends on what's cooking down there, but the main thing is that you can certainly check for doneness through the door, especially if you have that in mine before you postion the meat. I have my wsm set up on the edge of the patio and I stand on the ground when I check so it's not quite so far to lean over. Of course, I also check and add water through the door first thing in the morning during a long over-night cook.

Hey LL. the man with A REAL pit boss! that dog is awesome! Chicago hit near 70 today and my pit mix loved it. Time to roll out all the grills for regular full on season!

Hey LL. the man with A REAL pit boss! that dog is awesome! Chicago hit near 70 today and my pit mix loved it. Time to roll out all the grills for regular full on season!

Post a picture of your dog. I love Pits, a misunderstood breed like myself. :thumb:

Defending my "DUMB design" statement...

Let's say you want to mop, flip, turn or otherwise manipulate the food on the second rack.

With a bullet such as a WSM:
1. Have a large clean heat-proof grease-proof place to put the lid so it won't leave a greasy ring on your deck.
2. Remove it and put it there.
3. Have a large clean heat-proof grease-proof place to put the top rack and whatever food is on it.
4. Carefully remove it and put it there.
5. Do what's necessary to the food on the lower rack.
6. Carefully replace the top rack and whatever food is on it.
7. Replace the lid.
8. Clean up the grease-proof surface you put the top rack/food on earlier.
9. Might as well clean up the lid ring while you're at it.

With a vault:
1. Open the door.
2. Reach in and do what ya gotta.
3. Close the door.

Blasphemy? You decide. :eek:P
~Kai

Defending my "DUMB design" statement...

Let's say you want to mop, flip, turn or otherwise manipulate the food on the second rack.

With a bullet such as a WSM:
1. Have a large clean heat-proof grease-proof place to put the lid so it won't leave a greasy ring on your deck.
2. Remove it and put it there.
3. Have a large clean heat-proof grease-proof place to put the top rack and whatever food is on it.
4. Carefully remove it and put it there.
5. Do what's necessary to the food on the lower rack.
6. Carefully replace the top rack and whatever food is on it.
7. Replace the lid.
8. Clean up the grease-proof surface you put the top rack/food on earlier.
9. Might as well clean up the lid ring while you're at it.

With a vault:
1. Open the door.
2. Reach in and do what ya gotta.
3. Close the door.

Blasphemy? You decide. :eek:P
~Kai

Which "vault" would you recommend? :idea:

Is there a $300 two door vault out there that is capable of 8 to 12 hour burns, proven both under catering, competition and backyard conditions, easily portable, guru capable and with spare parts you can buy anywhere?

I would love a Spicewine, but, the last time I checked, a WSM is a lot more affordable up front.

Is there a $300 two door vault out there that is capable of 8 to 12 hour burns, proven both under catering, competition and backyard conditions, easily portable, guru capable and with spare parts you can buy anywhere?

I would love a Spicewine, but, the last time I checked, a WSM is a lot more affordable up front.

Exactly. :thumb:

Okay,
I am going to get real simple and save you money.
You said "Okay, I love my 16-year-old Weber Kettle. And I get good food off of it. But, I want a more stable temperature for low and slow cooking."
If you got a great cooker, and you just want to get it stable, do that, not abandon your great cooker.
IMHO I would suggest a temp controller for your current Weber.
I have an iQue 110 that sells for $120. And it keeps a Weber kettle spot on. 225 with no refuel for 8 hours. Maybe more.
And if you decide in the future to get a WSM or other cooker, the temp controller can go with it.
But if you got a WSM, you just bought a great cooker none the less.

I have an 18.5" wsm and love it. It has a nice small footprint. It does not eat to much charcoal for a long (11-14 hour) cook. The learning curve to get awesome results is small. When the wind is blowing here, i use a tarp over a few patio chairs as a windbreak...works great. I bought mine on craigs list for cheap, it does not shine, it is a little homely, but it cooks great with very even temps.

Back