Should I Buy This: New Braunfels Horizontal Offset for $100 ?

Might be worth seeing if they would meet you part way on that one from OKC. You never know what direction someone has to go for other reasons.

I would get the thicker one. 200 miles aint bad.

I drove 1200 miles and 21 hours round trip to pick up a brand new large ceramic Grill dome for $200.

I'm thinking your in deep enough that you can start looking for quality over more quantity of cookers. I was up to fifteen at one time. Hotel California type addiction. Now I'm settled in and always on the hunt for top shelf cookers at Goodwill prices.

I'm thinking your in deep enough that you can start looking for quality over more quantity of cookers. I was up to fifteen at one time. Hotel California type addiction. Now I'm settled in and always on the hunt for top shelf cookers at Goodwill prices.

You're right, I want an offset of quality. The problem is I am such a newb to offset smoking I have no idea what to watch/wait for. I have a budget (which is probably flexible) of up to $300 right now for a used offset to learn on. If someone has an idea of what I should hold out for, please advise me thanks. I am in no hurry.

You'll figure it out. Just keep 3-4 Benjamin's handy and be ready to strike when the opportunity presents itself. I'd rather have a double circle co-op bucket with an expanded metal grate that I know well enough to make great food, than a el cheapo sheet metal that I had to tune both fire and machine as I go. I want to master the flame, not be mastered. (Whoop- that was close :)

1/8" steel is not "top shelf" but it's fathoms above sheet metal eco's.
Lots, and I mean lots of great Q has been made on the "Made In USA"
New Braunfels offsets. Mine has zero leaks that won't eventually seal, is a hoot to play with-if you've got the dedicated time. They need tending throughout the cook.

That isn't a real Black Diamond. The shelf is way wrong. The NBBD had wood.

Regardless, I suggest removing the stack entirely, welding a patch over it, and make a new stack starting halfway up the cold end, starting with an elbow. Those kludgey mods where people stick tin foil up in the stack and bring it down by the grill eat up your cooking space and anyway don't you have more pride than that?

The other mod that I consider critical is making a baffle. On mine I added tuning plates, a grease drain, and I used hi-temp silicone to seal around the cooker doors. I made some damn good Q with my NBBD and I recommend them to anyone. They're made of 16 gauge steel which is plenty stout. Scrub it off good when you get it, put some paint on it, and touch it up every spring. Don't let it get rusty on the outside. (there's that pride thing again)

Really excellent stick burner.

seattlepitboss

16Adams, which model of NB is this?

attachment.php

Is it a model after the black diamond? It doesn't have the wooden shelf.

Is this one as good as the black diamond? Would I use the black diamond mods on it? I see this tuned baffle someone made for the black diamond on google.

I'd jump on it for 75.00 and a road trip. Don't mod it until you cook on it a few times. I think you'll find that it works really well. That one is made of 1/8" steel and cooks pretty well. We don't have to worry about trying to keep up the temp when it's well below freezing.(maybe a tad more for you but not MN weather by any stretch) ;) The worst case scenario...you buy it, give it the love that I know you will, use it long enough to fall in love with an offset or sell for a profit if you don't. Win Win in my book!

My .02
Randy

Last edited:
Shelves come and go. They're wood. They rot. They are supported by a steel shelf. It rusts. Listen to peeps and randy. 1/8" steel, says made in USA on the new Braunfels badge. Probably gone by now. That's OK if it is, another will come along. Goodnight brothers and sisters of smoke.

Back