THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yugga

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
CajunbQ
Shopping for my first ‘legit’ smoker. Need your input.

Based on years of smoking on a Sams propane vertical box smoker I thought I wanted an insulated smoker and settled in on the Old Country GF that will be soon restocked at Academy.

After reading tons of posts and YouTube videos on Shirley I’m starting to think I’d enjoy the 24x36 Shirley Patio even more.

I know these are two different approaches (GF vs Reverse Flow) but would appreciate any insights on what you’d recommend if you had to choose just one. I live in S Louisiana so weather isn’t an issue.

Willing to pay more to get that smoker I’ll enjoy for years down the road.
Thanks in advance for any insights.

If you have the time and are willing to put the effort in to burn sticks it's the Shirley hands down, if not option B.

Last edited:
Just my opinion but you can replicate, to a degree, a charcoal/chunks smoking flavor and convenience of GF in something like a WSM (larger one, of course). May not have the volume that the OC does though.

But, and again this is just my preference, since getting a Shirley 24 x 42 Patio? My BBQ game is so much better. And it's not just the food though undoubtedly that's the best part. But the fun is now in the hobby in a way I haven't yet experienced. It's work, it's art, it's fire.

I really, truly wasn't sure if I was going to like tending it, getting up and checking on it, "oh ****, there's some billowy smoke, what happened?!?" but it's so much fun. I just set aside the time that I can to truly enjoy the experience and make the most of it. I look forward to the after-cook stuff like cleaning it out and chopping down more splits for the next cook. Oh, make SURE you can get a good source of wood before you jump at an offset of any type. Check that box first.

I'm not saying GF and what not can't make excellent food. I am positive they can. But they won't give the food AND the experience - if you want both and have the time for both - that offsets can.

FWIW - I still use my pellet and my kettle all the time. But having the Shirley? That's my weekend ride :D

Before you decide be sure to ask yourself if you have the time to acquire and store wood. You cant just run out and grab a bag of charcoal for the Shirley like you can with the GF. I suppose they might run on charcoal in a pinch but they are designed to burn split wood. You can buy small bundles of wood but that would get expensive really quick. Getting seasoned wood is easy for some but can be quite a task for others. If you are OK with sourcing wood and tending a fire I would choose the Shirley all day long. I absolutely love mine.

Thanks for all the insights!
I know it’s difficult comparing two different cooking methods but I’m at a fork in the road.

I'd get an Old Country Gravity fed And an Old Country Smokehouse and have both a charcoal smoker and a stickburner.

Shirley Fabrication makes a fantastic cooker, is completely worth the additional cost (IMO) and I think is capable of putting out better food. That said, decide if a stick burner is going to work for you before buying it. As stated, make sure you have a good source of wood and have the time to participate in the process.

If you have an interest in spending the time, I'd definitely go with the SF. You'll get good food from the gravity feed too if you decide to go that route

I was in a similar boat once. I ended up with a used 24x60 Shirley.

It's too big for what I need, but it's perfect. Well-designed and superior quality especially when you consider price v. competition.

First, consider whether it is easy or not to source your wood. Then consider if you have the time and enjoy tending a stick burner for a few hours during a smoke.

My WSM is pretty much 'set and forget' within reason. I like it a lot. However, I love the smell of wafting smoke from sticks in the firebox and, the quality time spent outside with a cold beer or two on a nice afternoon!

I honestly don't understand why people think that Shirley is the only stick burner out there worth having. There are several great manufacturers in the Houston area which is a relatively short drive from S Louisiana. Klose, Gator, Pits and Spitts, Pits by JJ all in the Houston area and all make excellent cookers. Also, Lone Star Grillz about an hour north. Yeah, check out Shirley, as they are very good, but also look at some options just as good closer to home with a shorter wait time.

Checked out the shirley and it's very nice and more affordable cabinet style smoker (the patio model) but I would still go with the LSG because of one thing. The bottom of the LSG warming box/top of the firebox has the removable griddle so hanging meats can drip directly over the coals vs shirley with a sliding baffle.

Coming from someone who started off with a piece of junk Yoder Cheyenne and worked my way through a few different offsets until the one I have now, if you're going to go offset spend money and get a quality one the first time. If you like the Shirley the best, then get the Shirley. A good quality offset will make a world of difference versus a cheap one that will drive you crazy.

I honestly don't understand why people think that Shirley is the only stick burner out there worth having. There are several great manufacturers in the Houston area which is a relatively short drive from S Louisiana. Klose, Gator, Pits and Spitts, Pits by JJ all in the Houston area and all make excellent cookers. Also, Lone Star Grillz about an hour north. Yeah, check out Shirley, as they are very good, but also look at some options just as good closer to home with a shorter wait time.

Years ago when I was deciding, Shirley was way cheaper than those you listed. Not hundreds cheaper, lots cheaper. I don't know if that's still true since some now have cabinet models that increased their capacity. I never priced a JJ so maybe not them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Years ago when I was deciding, Shirley was way cheaper than those you listed. Not hundreds cheaper, lots cheaper. I don't know if that's still true since some now have cabinet models that increased their capacity. I never priced a JJ so maybe not them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I thought it was the other way around. Just did a quick double check and it seems they are all in the same ballpark generally. I would be happy with any of them honestly.

Back