THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

smokerpa

Full Fledged Farker
I am finally recovering from the last 48 hours. 1897 miles traveled in 42 hours. 13.5 hours one day and 14.5 the next day. In between that, I had a wonderful experience.

My dad and I would be the ones making this journey together. My dad has no understanding of this world, other than what I cook for him.

Paul called me on the way down and found out we were getting into town earlier than expected. He said that we should get together and go out for dinner. My dad and I had only planned to go somewhere quick before we rested for the night. Paul said he he would take us to a local joint and that we should come to his house to meet up.

When we went to meet Paul, Sharon and him were outside talking over a pecan tree. For as wonderful as Paul is, Sharon is still the better half. All wives usually are. Both of them talked to us for awhile about where we were from and things along those lines. We toured the shop area and I saw my cooker for the first time. It was surreal, as I never thought the day would come. I have my very own Shirley. Just seemed weird. Excitement was internal, as I tried not to yell at the top of my lungs like when I was five and got a powerwheels for the Christmas.

After this, we left for dinner. This place was great. On the river and the food was out of this world. Local food. Paul and I talked about the Brethren, Q in general and cookers. Sharon kept my dad talking about her background and everything that wasn't what Paul and I were talking about. Dinner lasted about two hours. It went too fast. I could have stayed there for hours. We parted ways for the night.

We woke back up at 5:00 eastern time, which was still 4:00 central time. Damn my internal clock. We went to the University of Alabama so that I could take pictures for JBounds, PJTexas and Smittyjonz. I know you guys are big fans. :-D After that we went to the shop and picked up the cooker. After talking with Paul and Sharon for another hour, we finally departed for home.

My dad summed up the entire experience with one line.

"For us never meeting Paul and Sharon before, I felt like I knew them as friends for 20 years and we were catching up."

The only complaint that I have about my new Shirley, is that when I seasoned it last night, it was too easy to get to temp and maintain it. I was ready to play a little with regulating all the temps between the vertical chamber and main cook chamber. This thing is like an easy bake oven. Average split lasted about 50 minutes to maintain an temp of 275 before dropping. Came to temp within 40 minutes.

That's awesome. I don't have room for it at my current house, but we will be outgrowing this place soon and my boys will become teenagers with larger appetites. When that happens, I will probably be looking at a Shirley. Glad you had a great experience.

Welcome to the family baby!!!

Man, you make my lil trip back to Texas like a pice of cake! :becky:

I'm so jealous you got to hang with the man for that long :p Only got to chat a short while but I can second that it felt like you knew him forever, great guy :thumb:

Looking forward to them cooking pics :heh:

Glad you had a successful trip and a great visit with Paul and Sharon. My brother bought a Shirley (Hogsbreath) and he only had good things to say about the Shirleys too.
That truly is a beautiful pit.

My dad has no understanding of this world, other than what I cook for him.

Ain't that the truth! I'm in the same boat (although my dad is always willing to help me pull pork after a really big cook).

Congrats and this Shirley family just keeps on getting bigger. I still think we should try to get a Shirley Bash together every couple of years in Tuscaloosa. I need an excuse to visit with Paul and Tyler again but buying another cooker every couple of years would get expensive.:shocked:

My trip was only 11 hours but we had to add another hour or so while we were just talking. Really good people those Shirleys.:thumb: Appreciate you taking the pics for us.:tsk:

Congrats on your new cooker and welcome to the Shirley family. The best part about buying a Shirley cooker is getting to meet Paul and his wife. They are fine folks.they really make you feel like family.

Back