THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yeah, I was trying to figure out who poured a gallon of molasses in the bottom of my smoker. :oops: Alls well now though. :biggrin1:

Yeah, I was trying to figure out who poured a gallon of molasses in the bottom of my smoker. :oops: Alls well now though. :biggrin1:

I found out on the golf cart models if you put blocks of wood under the rear tires it will give just enough angle and the grease will drain out the grease spout into your bucket while cooking . I did not have this problem on my trailer as you could just lower the nose of the trailer with the lowering jack .

I found out on the golf cart models if you put blocks of wood under the rear tires it will give just enough angle and the grease will drain out the grease spout into your bucket while cooking . I did not have this problem on my trailer as you could just lower the nose of the trailer with the lowering jack .

Yeah I'm planning to have a slab poured in the area I have it now, but for now it may be worth stopping by HD or Lowe's for some kind of blocks to go under it (assuming the weight wouldn't crack them)

Yeah when I was looking to spec mine out I was looking at a 24x60 2-shelf and realized I'd gain a lot more space by going with a 24x50 3-shelf. It was a much better choice on the "Bang for Your Buck" meter too.

This is the main chamber on my elevated straightback 24x50 and my inaugural cook of six racks of babybacks and five racks of beefback ribs.
Even if you didn't need the extra room, for the $200 plus or minus. why not get the elevated? Fuel consumption between the 2 is probably negligible .

Yeah I'm planning to have a slab poured in the area I have it now, but for now it may be worth stopping by HD or Lowe's for some kind of blocks to go under it (assuming the weight wouldn't crack them)
wondering why the deflector isn't welded at an angle towards the grease drain from the git go?

Even if you didn't need the extra room, for the $200 plus or minus. why not get the elevated? Fuel consumption between the 2 is probably negligible .
He has 3.
wondering why the deflector isn't welded at an angle towards the grease drain from the git go?
I'm guessing it might change the air flow under the rf plate???

He has 3.

I'm guessing it might change the air flow under the rf plate???

Ya that would me my thoughts as well. I keep my pit level for cooks and if I need to drain during the cook (which is pretty much never) I just nose it down for a minute. Same for draining after a cook, nose down easy peasy.

it might be angled on the golf cart model but my driveway is not level either and though this might be his problem too but I know this is how I got mine to drain while cooking .

Deposit

Spoke with Paul last night regarding my build, everything looks good, had a little issue about side door clearance from the garage to the patio. I have 30" door and that won't cut it. didn't realize the patio cart needed at least 38" to clear any obstructions. Problem solved...it will have to take the scenic route from the other end of the property, after the fence gate gets ripped out. it will be a little bit of a project, but you gotta do what u gotta do, right?

Heading out to the post office now to mail out the deposit, before some other bastard jumps my spot in the line.

on a side note...been up all night cooking a 14lb choice brisket on this ridiculously puny thing. started at 11pm, finished and resting since 8am

Attachments

• IMG_1381.jpg
    IMG_1381.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1372.jpg
    IMG_1372.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_1373.jpg
    IMG_1373.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1374.jpg
    IMG_1374.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 131
Not my best work... way too dry. just 50/50 salt and pepper. Flat on the bottom grate, point on the top grate. fat side down. naked the whole way. the WSM ran 250 the whole cook, i was trying for 275-300 but even with all the vents wide open, i couldn't get past 250. I might have pulled it a bit early, the coals were dying out at around 9 hours in. It was probing at 196-200. short of adding more coals for another hour, i just pulled it out and foiled. I would give it a 6 out of 10. Then again, maybe it was the cut. what RD or the USDA calls a choice cut has me wondering sometimes.

The best part of the day was being able to send out my deposit....

Attachments

• IMG_1384.jpg
    IMG_1384.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_1385.jpg
    IMG_1385.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1382.jpg
    IMG_1382.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 121
Looks crumbly. Dry and crumbly is usually over cooked. Dry and tough is under cooked. Over is better.

Ya that would me my thoughts as well. I keep my pit level for cooks and if I need to drain during the cook (which is pretty much never) I just nose it down for a minute. Same for draining after a cook, nose down easy peasy.

Yeah if I had a trailer model (which I debated heavily) I'd just nose it down. Unfortunately the patio models don't have that option.

Yeah if I had a trailer model (which I debated heavily) I'd just nose it down. Unfortunately the patio models don't have that option.

I'm an idiot for not remembering details like this :caked:. I probably scrape mine out clean vs using the drain most of the time anyways. It is another option in general for those that haven't clean a pit like this. Once it cools down it can be like a gel of fat/drippings that scrap out easy with a paint scraper.

Back