Lonestar Offset Horizontal Cabinet Options or Similar LSG Pit Options.

Lobsterbake

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Mark
Hello,

I am pondering ordering a LSG 24x36 Horizontal Offset Cabinet smoker and wondering from those who have ordered the same or similar - what options are must have in your opinion. Anything you wish you had gotten or got and regretted?

Options I am considering:

1/2" Firebox. Like the Insulated option but lose the griddle top - not sure if would miss it or not.

Pull handle

Two probe ports

Folding stainless shelf - 12" vs standard 10" and try to get a little wider to cover more of the of the FB side - firebox top griddle area.

8" wheel package

Ash pan

Fire management basket

Items - not sure about:

Gas Assist/Log Lighter

Charcoal S Basket

Guru port - not sure Guru is really practical with offset.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited:
Ok... I'll bite.

The griddle/grilling top does nothing for me as I've had it on previous pits. I really like my insulated F/B but recommend going to the 1/2" box at a minimum.

The pull handle is mounted too low IMHO. I wanted something on the exhaust stack so I don't have to bend over moving the thing. Still, wouldn't want to go without one regardless.

I'd pass on the SS shelf option - been there thrice and find the money saved will get you other options. Yeah, it looks nice and all but the sun reflection is a killer some days. I ended up covering mine with kraft paper to avoid that (and make cleanup easier). BTW - YES YES YES on going 12" if possible. Even then you'll find life is better if you attach an extension (see sig line - last page).

Ash pan is a non-starter for me.... too heavy and I found an aluminum sheet pan works just as well. Again, this puts more money into your pocket for other options.

The 8" wheel package is a must. Not sure about the all-terrain option as they didn't offer it. Even with the 8" wheels you will likely need some plywood if you plan on transporting across grass areas.

Finally.... I really really really like my gas-assist. No need to lug around and hookup weed burners and the like. Again, check out the option I went for in my sig line - might not be feasible for your situation but you'll be $$$$'s ahead by getting that and taking some other items mentioned off your list.

Best of luck... this is quite possibly the last smoker you'll ever need to buy.

I've had mine for just over a couple of weeks and have already cooked on it a half-dozen times. I went with a 24x48 and love it. I might recommend going with the 24x40 instead of the 24x36. Not too much more cost for extra space. I like having a bit of space between the firebox and the meat.

Stainless shelf is a must. It's much easier to clean up than expanded metal, and when sliding out the shelves. I have the 10" and that works for me, but I also have a cart that I use for prep, wrapping, etc.

I did not get the gas assist. You can add the gas assist later if you want. I start with a chimney of lump and a couple of splits and am heated up and ready to cook in about 45 mins.

I didn't get the ash pan. I take out the fire grate and sweep all the ash into a bucket. It's easy enough. I can't picture myself trying to hold up the ash pan with one hand and sweeping the ash into a can with another.

I really like the fire management basket. Keeps the coal bed nice and tight. The research I did on this suggests it's a must have.

8" casters are really nice, makes for easy rolling. Pull handle, why not?

I bought the charcoal s basket, but only plan to use it if I every have to cook overnight. If had it to do over, I probably wouldn't get the charcoal basket, but I bought it up front to save money on shipping.

This thing is a cooking machine, it's fantastic!!! So versatile and some of the best BBQ I've ever cooked.

Back