She's Heeeeeeeere! The Hunsaker

You're not the only one having fun :p
bdVAIH1l.jpg

That lamb looked so freaking boss!

Thanks Jason! It was farking good. Never done shoulders until last night. Steak on a stick?

I'm firing up again today. :becky:

Can one of you guys do me a favor and measure from the cross bar to the top of the deflector? Any issues with clearance when hanging spare ribs?

Can one of you guys do me a favor and measure from the cross bar to the top of the deflector? Any issues with clearance when hanging spare ribs?

I've seen plenty of people hang ribs so it's a non issue. I was curious so I measured and it's 21". I measured a rack of baby backs and a spare and they range 17-18". You hook from the second or the third bone and it's perfect.

The shoulders I did last night were literally a hair off the vortex plate and didn't burn. I knew it won't be an issues since I've hung in the PBC over direct coals and the PBC doesn't burn the ends either.

I'm not worried about being too close, but actually touching the plate wouldn't work. I have the hunsaker basket and gateway rib hanger for my WSM and when I went to hang they touched the plate. Need to rig some feet for the hanging rack to lift it up a bit since there's still plenty of clearance in the dome lid

I'm not worried about being too close, but actually touching the plate wouldn't work. I have the hunsaker basket and gateway rib hanger for my WSM and when I went to hang they touched the plate. Need to rig some feet for the hanging rack to lift it up a bit since there's still plenty of clearance in the dome lid

Ahh! I hear you. Yeah I would want touching the plate either.

Thanks HG! Actually they were shoulders. I took it to 190ish. I planned on taking them to probe tender which they almost were but I had fallen behind schedule and folks were hungry. Didn't have time to properly rest so I chopped by pulling big chunks off instead. First time doing lamb shoulder an I loved it. So much more fat/flavor than the leg.

Thanks, Sako. I prefer the shoulder also, your photo fooled me with the long shank. I posted a thread on whole boneless, butterflied lamb shoulder last night, I agree its a great cut.

Thanks, Sako. I prefer the shoulder also, your photo fooled me with the long shank. I posted a thread on whole boneless, butterflied lamb shoulder last night, I agree its a great cut.

:thumb: It def looks misleading.

Oh man! I am glad I read through this thread. I would totally be in for a 85 gallon camo painted saker!!! I love my UDS but need more real estate when I don't feel like managing the stick burner.

Back