shelters

This worked well for me in the past but we don't live there anymore.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8258&d=1182299955

But it was a little hard to get to during the "off" season.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=12105&d=1198975860

Add a place for enjoying refreshements.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8259&d=1182300037

You can have a lot of fun with some treated lumber and your imagination. Didn't have time last year, but I get to start all over again next spring at our new home.

I need to build a shelter like Kevin's over my "kitchen" area.

Attachments

• 12-24-08 065.jpg
    12-24-08 065.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 186
rainyribs.jpg

I had to rig this up for a rib cook last weekend. It had snowed then turned to heavy rain. I knew there was a reason I kept the broken umbrella. Ribs were good too.:-D

I use the carport, but I have to make room for the wife's car when where not grillen!

Looks like you got one of the siblings to my stainless steel drum

Last edited:
Looks like you got one of the siblings to my stainless steel drum

Mark, Looks very similar. I have not started on the build yet. Looking forward to sharing when I can find time to get this started. Do you know what was in your drum?

No worries about wind here in So. Cali. We just setter on the pool deck:twisted:

Last edited:
Well....I've been an idiot all my life, and fight the weather. I never let weather stop me if I needed to cook something in the smoker. Having said all of that....maybe I'm getting smarter, or just not as much energy, but since I have to build something for the combo broiler, I've decided to extend that to the rest of my cooking devices. The kicker is...I have to wait until the weather cooperates to start construction:biggrin::biggrin:.

Mark, Looks very similar. I have not started on the build yet. Looking forward to sharing when I can find time to get this started. Do you know what was in your drum?

Yeah; vanilla extract. If you PM me your email address I'll send you the PowerPoint presentation for my buildout.

Mine are on the patio, enclosed on one side by the deck, another by the house, and two other sides by very large trees. The tree canopies overhang my smoking area so they are always in the shade (especially in summer) and provide rather good wind protection. As for rain, a good rain will come dripping down, but when it starts I have a bit of time for the trees to get good and wet before they start dripping down.

Not sure if you can build something like this setup real quick though. Those trees kinda run on their own time.

I do my Q'ing under the "sunroom" extension; so I got a roof, a concrete slab and partially enclosed on 3 sides (fully enclosed on 1 side by the concrete wall of my walk-out basement).

Last edited:
Back in business-for now!

I had some 1/2" steel conduit and was able to salvage my storm damaged Gazebo frame so I'm breathing a bit easier now.

100_3284.jpg

Had an extra canopy top I picked up off CL last Summer for $20, some nuts and bolts and I'm ready to do some cooking!

100_3282.jpg

100_3283.jpg

I'm thinking I may add a center support for stability during any wild weather from now on.

So if anyone else is planning a permanent shelter post some links or pics.

I met a team at Sugar Creek last year that braced their EZ Up type canopies with 1/2" conduit. If you were in the center of his canopies and looked up it looked like a +. He mounted the ends over joints on the sides tied them in the center, using the tension of the canopy to keep them in place. He also had sandbags hanging from each corner.

I mention it because he did just fine in the 40MPH winds while my sturdy 20x20 carport had to be tied down to Plowboy's trailer (thanks Todd) and every other immovable object I could find. He also said he had been using those canopies for 7 years without a problem. I've gone through a dozen+ canopies like that over the last 7 years so I was impressed. Further, it didn't take him any longer to set or tear down and the 2 10' lengths of conduit for each canopy didn't take up much storage space when disassembled.

Back