THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

robert-r

is Blowin Smoke!
Why would anyone want that for dinner? Seems like that would be better for breakfast, right? It's because I couldn't wait until morning because it was a special sausage: Texas Beef. This was a first for me in several ways - never had central Texas beef sausage & had never made stuffed sausage.

Cut 3 3/4 lbs. of chuck roast, 1 1/4 lbs. pork butt & 1/2 lb. of hard beef fat into 1" cubes. Seasoned per recipe & into the fridge for 24 hours (recipe calls for overnight, but life gets in the way sometimes). Chilled the seasoned meat in the freezer for 40 minutes & than gave it "what for" with the grinder.

Dd2Dq4F.jpg

Added water & stuffed the sausage in hog casings. Pictured is blow out # 2 (of many). Decided not to sweat the fine print & continue.

v4ib4TW.jpg

Practice makes perfect! Or not.

BCaux7f.jpg

Fired up the 14.5 with Weber briquettes for heat & a big chunk of cherry for smoke.
I didn't have any oak or pecan. & didn't want to use mesquite for some reason. Settled on cherry - it's from my daughter's home in Idaho.
Added the sausage.

IqcfDaO.jpg

Cooked at 250* until it had an internal temp of 160*.

uLHwJ7n.jpg

I'd been singing "Long Tall Texan" to myself most of the day in anticipation of this moment: Time To Eat!

zFnaWI3.jpg

The sausage was beyond good. Never had anything like it in my life. My wife agrees.
I'm in luck - there's lots more where this came from. Might have to get a brisket as a side the next time I cook this.

I got this recipe from a friend on another forum. He also lives in Texas.

4 parts chuck roast.
2 part pork shoulder
1 part brisket fat.

Then everything else is calculated as a percentage of that combined meat and fat weight.. Other ingredients were
10% Water
1.5% Kosher salt
1.5% Tallicherry Pepper
0.25% cure #1 (neccessary for slow smoking but I think it adds to the flavor)
0.05% cayenne pepper
0.05% marjoram (completely optional)
0.025% sage (completely optional)

I used a digital scale for the measurements in grams. This makes everything a lot easier and allows me to scale the recipe however I want.

My ground meat. I cut up the meat into 1 inch cubes and I added the seasoning and the cure and let that sit in the fridge overnight. Then I ground the meat with the kitchen aid grinder attachment with the larger die.

I added the water and hand mixed til the mixture got tacky and stuffed into hog casings.

Last edited:
Nice work there Robert, as far as eggs, sausage and taters I could eat them anytime, day or night.

Awesome work mate, snags look great and a Fine meal any time of the day.
and I learn t something about Tallicherry Pepper, never heard of it before, buy now on my too Buy list

Back