Sausage, Eggs & Tater Tots for Dinner

robert-r

is Blowin Smoke!
Why would anyone want that for dinner? Seems like that would be better for breakfast, right? It's because I couldn't wait until morning because it was a special sausage: Texas Beef. This was a first for me in several ways - never had central Texas beef sausage & had never made stuffed sausage.

Cut 3 3/4 lbs. of chuck roast, 1 1/4 lbs. pork butt & 1/2 lb. of hard beef fat into 1" cubes. Seasoned per recipe & into the fridge for 24 hours (recipe calls for overnight, but life gets in the way sometimes). Chilled the seasoned meat in the freezer for 40 minutes & than gave it "what for" with the grinder.

Dd2Dq4F.jpg

Added water & stuffed the sausage in hog casings. Pictured is blow out # 2 (of many). Decided not to sweat the fine print & continue.

v4ib4TW.jpg

Practice makes perfect! Or not.

BCaux7f.jpg

Fired up the 14.5 with Weber briquettes for heat & a big chunk of cherry for smoke.
I didn't have any oak or pecan. & didn't want to use mesquite for some reason. Settled on cherry - it's from my daughter's home in Idaho.
Added the sausage.

IqcfDaO.jpg

Cooked at 250* until it had an internal temp of 160*.

uLHwJ7n.jpg

I'd been singing "Long Tall Texan" to myself most of the day in anticipation of this moment: Time To Eat!

zFnaWI3.jpg

The sausage was beyond good. Never had anything like it in my life. My wife agrees.
I'm in luck - there's lots more where this came from. Might have to get a brisket as a side the next time I cook this.

I got this recipe from a friend on another forum. He also lives in Texas.

4 parts chuck roast.
2 part pork shoulder
1 part brisket fat.

Then everything else is calculated as a percentage of that combined meat and fat weight.. Other ingredients were
10% Water
1.5% Kosher salt
1.5% Tallicherry Pepper
0.25% cure #1 (neccessary for slow smoking but I think it adds to the flavor)
0.05% cayenne pepper
0.05% marjoram (completely optional)
0.025% sage (completely optional)

I used a digital scale for the measurements in grams. This makes everything a lot easier and allows me to scale the recipe however I want.

My ground meat. I cut up the meat into 1 inch cubes and I added the seasoning and the cure and let that sit in the fridge overnight. Then I ground the meat with the kitchen aid grinder attachment with the larger die.

I added the water and hand mixed til the mixture got tacky and stuffed into hog casings.

Last edited:
Nice work there Robert, as far as eggs, sausage and taters I could eat them anytime, day or night.

Awesome work mate, snags look great and a Fine meal any time of the day.
and I learn t something about Tallicherry Pepper, never heard of it before, buy now on my too Buy list

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.
I vac-sealed & froze most of it.
Saved out a few links for breakfast this week.

Very cool! I always love seeing people making the items that are generally so easy to buy (sausages, bacon, etc)

Back