Saturday cook : High Winds Edition

BeardedBassGuy

Full Fledged Farker
EDIT: I just realized I put Saturday in the title. I cooked Sunday. Not a big deal to you, but I know...

So I had intended to take a break this weekend, not smoke anything, and just make some chili. Which is intensive in itself. I in NO WAY intended to make chili AND smoke anything. Especially in 30+mph winds.

But, when you have awesome brethren give you meat (Czarbecue) and you need freezer space, you cook. Even if you already made chili. And the wind is blowing like mad.

So on Saturday I take the pork butt CZ gave me, and the 2 butts I have in the freezer and get them thawing. Then I managed to wake up VERY late on Sunday to start cooking. Get my fire going. It's crazy winds, but I get it lit and head inside.

Wind up having to cut the butts in half because I'm not getting a late start and I'm not cooking all night. Notice the butts are still a bit frosty when I cut them, but no big deal. Give them a healthy rub down with Blues Hog dry rub. No binder. Do a fatty in the leftover rub, because I'm hungry. Throw them on the smoker.

At this point it's almost impossible to get my smoker above 150. The winds coupled with using pecan (low btu) are giving me horrible problems. Grab the last of my Mesquite and toss it on in a last ditch effort to generate enough heat to power through.

The results were a huge fire, but I finally got the smoker to 250 and steady after 30 minutes or so. Was able to maintain temps once I finally got it there thankfully.

Anyway, fatty was awesome. Pulled pork turned out ok. Could have used 30 more minutes I think. Tender and juicy, just not melt in your mouth.

Also, do people trim the fat cap off of butts? I think I'm going to try that next time. Bark was amazing, but the fat was a bit much.

Thanks for looking!

zcq16ztl.jpg

9EoEAZdl.jpg

81xU0Kol.jpg
0hHK50xl.jpg

EbIaUljl.jpg

Last edited:
I keep the fat. Most chopped beef or pulled pork need sauce because there’s no fat and too dry for my liking. If it’s between a saucy pulled pork or a greasy pulled pork, I’ll get the greasy one.

But I’ve been eating braised pork belly since I was an infant so fatty cuts ain’t no thing.

Back