THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
So I've been a Costco member for the last few years and along with the normal house supplies, water, snacks, I also get some of my meat there for BBQ. Mostly it is spare ribs for home and competition use. The butts they have are bone out so I don't cook them. I have, but not as good as bone in. Then I also buy ground meat and steaks as they have some really great choice ribeyes and prime too.

Overall I like Costco because they have great prices on a lot of stuff I use at home. But in terms of BBQ meat the prices are not low enough or have the selection that I need. My Costco only has flats for Brisket and around $5-$6/lb. They told me they never have packers. I know what store carry vary by region.

Then last week I ventured over to Sam's to look around since it is basically across the street. I have zero idea why I never did this before :p. While price on ribs were about the same, they have bone in butts for $1.70ish/lb which is 25% cheaper than anywhere else. Whole packer briskets for $2.10ish/lb which around me is very cheap for choice angus. The brisket meat was the deepest red I have seen anywhere. Chuck roasts were about 25% cheaper than Costco. Then a few other meats were less expensive that I buy (chicken breasts, ground turkey, etc). Then there was shredded coleslaw mix which my Sams doesn't have. I get it at the grocery store when I don't feel like shredding it myself and is it 3 times the cost at Kroger. So another score.

I could keep going down the list but you can guess I walked out with a membership and some meat :-D. Actually smoking some chuckie's right now for pulled beef tacos tomorrow.

Does anyone else find prices better for BBQ meat at one vs the other? I don't intend for this to be a Sam's or Costco bashing thread at all as I've come to learn they both have certain things the others do not. Costco still has some cheeses, dips, and other stuff I didn't see at Sam's. Seems like everyone I know who has one membership has both anyways. But it was like a whole new world opened up figured I would share my happiness and see if people think one or another has better BBQ meat or shop at both.

I bought a couple of butts at Sam's yesterday. The supermarkets want crazy money for meat lately, and rarely have butts.

I completely agree. Kroger, publix, and walmart all are more expensive and the quality isn't as good. I'm so happy to have joined.

I usually go to a local meat shop (Shuler Meats) here. It is only about 15 minutes from home and they have anything you want, cut fresh. Butts are $1.99/lb. and baby backs are $4.49/lb. Whole shoulders are $1.59/lb.

They supply Bojangles with chicken here too, so plenty of chicken to choose from.

I have both less than 5 miles away. IMO, Sam's Club has a better BBQ meat and Costco has better grilling meat. YMMV though

We don't have a Costco, BJ's or RD around here. The wife & I have been Sams Club members though for many years and they seem to have a great meat dept. with good prices.

Back