Sam's Club, Why Didn't I Go In Sooner??

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
So I've been a Costco member for the last few years and along with the normal house supplies, water, snacks, I also get some of my meat there for BBQ. Mostly it is spare ribs for home and competition use. The butts they have are bone out so I don't cook them. I have, but not as good as bone in. Then I also buy ground meat and steaks as they have some really great choice ribeyes and prime too.

Overall I like Costco because they have great prices on a lot of stuff I use at home. But in terms of BBQ meat the prices are not low enough or have the selection that I need. My Costco only has flats for Brisket and around $5-$6/lb. They told me they never have packers. I know what store carry vary by region.

Then last week I ventured over to Sam's to look around since it is basically across the street. I have zero idea why I never did this before :p. While price on ribs were about the same, they have bone in butts for $1.70ish/lb which is 25% cheaper than anywhere else. Whole packer briskets for $2.10ish/lb which around me is very cheap for choice angus. The brisket meat was the deepest red I have seen anywhere. Chuck roasts were about 25% cheaper than Costco. Then a few other meats were less expensive that I buy (chicken breasts, ground turkey, etc). Then there was shredded coleslaw mix which my Sams doesn't have. I get it at the grocery store when I don't feel like shredding it myself and is it 3 times the cost at Kroger. So another score.

I could keep going down the list but you can guess I walked out with a membership and some meat :-D. Actually smoking some chuckie's right now for pulled beef tacos tomorrow.

Does anyone else find prices better for BBQ meat at one vs the other? I don't intend for this to be a Sam's or Costco bashing thread at all as I've come to learn they both have certain things the others do not. Costco still has some cheeses, dips, and other stuff I didn't see at Sam's. Seems like everyone I know who has one membership has both anyways. But it was like a whole new world opened up figured I would share my happiness and see if people think one or another has better BBQ meat or shop at both.

I bought a couple of butts at Sam's yesterday. The supermarkets want crazy money for meat lately, and rarely have butts.

I bought a couple of butts at Sam's yesterday. The supermarkets want crazy money for meat lately, and rarely have butts.

I completely agree. Kroger, publix, and walmart all are more expensive and the quality isn't as good. I'm so happy to have joined.

I usually go to a local meat shop (Shuler Meats) here. It is only about 15 minutes from home and they have anything you want, cut fresh. Butts are $1.99/lb. and baby backs are $4.49/lb. Whole shoulders are $1.59/lb.

They supply Bojangles with chicken here too, so plenty of chicken to choose from.

I have both less than 5 miles away. IMO, Sam's Club has a better BBQ meat and Costco has better grilling meat. YMMV though

We don't have a Costco, BJ's or RD around here. The wife & I have been Sams Club members though for many years and they seem to have a great meat dept. with good prices.

Back