Sam's Club Judging

Good job, Ralph, although I had hoped to see you in Bentonville. I'm sure our paths will cross at some time this year, see you then.

Laird

ABS Pit Boss, BWS Patio, Hasty Bake, Okie State Orange thermapen
Master CBJ, Certified Table Captain

I dont meant to bust your conjones, an email or did the KCBS screen pop up afterwards and tell you you were registered? If I do not get in being registerend in the 1st 90 seconds, I am crying conspricy!

I was on the site at 9:00 for Vegas. Took forever to load, but I filled everything about the same time you did. No email, just a screen that said I was confirmed. I think I read that an email would be sent a couple of weeks before the event. I'm betting we're in.

Good job, Ralph, although I had hoped to see you in Bentonville. I'm sure our paths will cross at some time this year, see you then.

Laird

ABS Pit Boss, BWS Patio, Hasty Bake, Okie State Orange thermapen
Master CBJ, Certified Table Captain

Laird, I wasn't thinking when I signed up. Right after I did it I knew I screwed up. I went back and tried to sign up for Bentonville and it told me I had already registered. I even have friends in Bentonville I could have visited while there. Oh Well.
What contest do you have lined up for this year? I think I'm going to cut back some this year. I only have 8 or 9 as of right now.

I am cutting back a little as well, Ralph, although I am going to cook with two teams this year. I am thinking I will judge Hazelwood, Bixby OK, Westmont, Jeffersonville IN, Benton, Murphysboro and Lincoln and Bentonville. There may be an additional one or two, not sure at this point.

Laird

ABS Pit Boss, BWS Patio, Hasty Bake, Okie State Orange Thermapen
KCBS Master CBJ, Certified Table Captain

Why? I love judging when I cannot cook a contest

It is an interesting issue. THEORETICALLY you have an influence on teams you are competing against, because the last spot or two in some regions is an 'at large' based on total scores. (Region one for example has two 'at large' teams)

It is an interesting issue. THEORETICALLY you have an influence on teams you are competing against, because the last spot or two in some regions is an 'at large' based on total scores. (Region one for example has two 'at large' teams)

But blindly....I don't know who they are any more than when judging a regular contest.....so, by that theory are you suggesting that all of the master judges that they will have at the finals will have to be screened to make sure that they did not earn their master judging status cooking with any team that is in the finals?

Still no e-mail here, I need to make Hotel Reservations, or not. As mentioned previously they might wait until a couple of weeks out :tsk: , you gotta be kidding, guess that would work if your lucky to have one close by but I am sure there is a lot of judges traveling to these events.

But blindly....I don't know who they are any more than when judging a regular contest.....so, by that theory are you suggesting that all of the master judges that they will have at the finals will have to be screened to make sure that they did not earn their master judging status cooking with any team that is in the finals?

For the record, I am not concerned about this in practice for this series at all and not concerned about you remainign impartial. This is a bit more esoteric in nature.

This is particularly interesting because as a cook you can judge in your same region, while knowing what teams at least were going to be at that contest that you are judging.

So, THEORETICALLY, what one could do is score every entry they get as "low as possible". If more "cook judges" were doing this, the impact would be even greater naturally. This would again, theoretically, lower the average scores at that qualifier, and theoretically, increase the relative average scores at the other qualifiers, which could theoretically bump the 29th or 30th qualifying teams to those other regionals rather than the contest at which you are judging.

Sorry for all the 'theoretically's. I just want to stress I am not saying this is happening, or what the math would require for it to have an actual impact.

Still no e-mail here, I need to make Hotel Reservations, or not. As mentioned previously they might wait until a couple of weeks out :tsk: , you gotta be kidding, guess that would work if your lucky to have one close by but I am sure there is a lot of judges traveling to these events.
If you got the registered pop up you are registered. Just like for the teams. When it hit full it closed down. keith

Email KCBS, the lovely, talentented and most helpful Dawn Endrijaitis sent me word that both myself and my sister are in for Las Vegas!

Heres the quote from KCBS "An event director will be in contact with you via e-mail by the week of March 14" .....guess we are out. I was registered in less than 3 min and it was still open for a while after that, don't remember how long but a while, so I guess they screened the applicants.

Heres the quote from KCBS "An event director will be in contact with you via e-mail by the week of March 14" .....guess we are out. I was registered in less than 3 min and it was still open for a while after that, don't remember how long but a while, so I guess they screened the applicants.

I wouldn't worry yet. Read below what I took off the KCBS website. Be patient.

Inaugural Sam’s Club National BBQ Tour Ready For Kickoff

March 17, 2011

Event Directors for the Inaugural Sam’s Club National BBQ Tour met last night and made final preparations for one of the most exciting BBQ competition series in KCBS history. Today and tomorrow they will be reviewing and finalizing all team and judge registrations for their respective events. For the early events in Region 1, you can expect communications from your local Event Director as early as tomorrow or this weekend.
Additionally, a final set of on-site rules and regulations will be posted here on Monday.
So get ready for some great BBQ! The 2011 season is about to heat up!

Back