Salting Steaks?

I generously cote my steaks with sea salt out of a grinder but not to the point you only see white. No rinse add a little pepper and garlic and they always come out extremely juicy.

Probably a silly question, would it make sense to put whatever rub or seasonings you normally put on steaks when you do the salt lick and will they infuse into the meat at all? Then rinse them off.

Sometimes, I sprinkle them with plain old table salt and leave them in the fridge for an hour before cooking. I used to do that religiously, but I'll tell ya the truth, I can't see or taste that much difference between doing that and simply laying the steak on the grill and lightly sprinkling some salt on top, then waiting for the flip, and sprinkle a bit on the other side. Either way, the salt seems to help the meat retain moisture, and by doing it on the grill, I wind up using much less salt, which is good for my astronomical blood pressure. :icon_shock1:

i tried it tonight on a Delmonico!! it was as tender as any steak i ever ate. gonna try it on a round steak tomorrow!!:eusa_clap

I'm trying it on about one third of an 8#, 2 1/4" round steak this afternoon. The rest will go into the WSM with some K and hickory.

The steak turned out great... Not too salty and had a good flavor to it.

The rest of it that went to the WSM was dry so I chopped it up for sandwiches and will make some home made this sauce for it tomorrow.
No pics of that cuz I'm ashamed of the way it turned out and it didn't happen..:icon_shy

Attachments

• image275.jpg
    image275.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 64
Back