Salt Lick Garlic Rub

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Andy
Anyone ever try Salt Lick Garlic Rub? Was in Houston a couple weeks back. Stopped in a HEB by the hotel to pick up some more Fiesta Uncle Chris's steak seasoning and a couple other Fiesta seasonings. Free shipping after all. Happened to see some of the Salt Lick garlic rub, on sale $2 off coupon, so since I'm a garlic nut, I figured why not.

IMG_20160422_214055.jpg

Threw some on a tri tip I cooked up tonight. HOLY CRAP is that HOT!!! My bad, I saw garlic and didn't even give it a second thought. Didn't think to give it a finger test. This is much more pepper than garlic!

IMG_20160422_214114.jpg

I use the regular salt lick all the time. I'm sure the garlic is just as good. It's great on beef. Put some of that on a steak, you'll love it.

I use the regular salt lick all the time. I'm sure the garlic is just as good. It's great on beef. Put some of that on a steak, you'll love it.
Is the regular hotter than hell? The garlic is WAY more pepper than garlic! This stuff makes HDD seem pretty tame.

I got some Salt Lick Garlic rub from Shaggy and Chicago KP when we had a brief hang in Chicago. I was surprised at how hot it is, but I like hot stuff, so it was a pleasant surprise. Works great with a sweet bbq sauce on wings & the heat isn't really issue after glazing with something like Blues Hog. I really like the stuff. I've only used it on wings so far.

This is a clone recipe I found online for the regular -

1 tbs salt
1 tbs pepper
2 tea cayenne
2 tea garlic

It's dang close to the original. And yea, it's hot. Lots of cayenne in it. KP, oifmarine and I are all hooked. We horde it now. I have a dozen bottles downstairs.

I love hot stuff. This just caught me off guard. Now that I know the taste, I'll use it selectively. To me. it wasn't a good choice for tri tip, which is what I used it on tonight, was expecting more of a garlic flavor. Will probably be great on ribs with a sweet sauce.

The heat mellows out though on longer cooks. I use Salt Lick on brisket and butts and it's never too hot for the kids.

I love it on tri tip though.....and ribeye's....and pork chops....and corn on the cob...oh well, I may be hooked.

I find that the "garlic" version add more heat than garlic to the original. We use both along with Head Country quite a bit.

I feel you on it being hot.....I use it on butt and it's great. I tried it on some full spare ribs and sweet jeebus that was hot.....mind you I pop habaneros and chili piquín like candies so its not like I'm a holy cow jalapeños are hot kinda person.....had to stop my wife from eating one of those ribs. I gave her a piece of the skirt offthe back that I had trimmed off and she yells "Damn babe, that made my ear hurt!" :twisted: Needless to see I only use it for my butts from now on and just use the rub I made up for my ribs from now on......didn't realize that cayenne pepper is #2 on the ingredients list hahaha

Back