- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 - 16oz bags Shredded Coleslaw Mix
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 2/3 cup sweet pickle relish

Directions
1. Mix together mayo, vinegar, sugar, pepper and salt to make your dressing.
2. Mix together coleslaw mix, onion and relish.
3. Fold in dressing into coleslaw until incorporated.
4. Place in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.

I would leave sugar out all together add shredded green apple, add micro chopped jalapeno too

Perfect timing - doing a pork picnic today and was planning on making coleslaw. While Blue Plate is my go-to, I have 1/2 gallon of Kewpie that needs to be used. I'll be trying this recipe.

Perfect timing - doing a pork picnic today and was planning on making coleslaw. While Blue Plate is my go-to, I have 1/2 gallon of Kewpie that needs to be used. I'll be trying this recipe.

Please post up the results. I've not tried Kewpie but hear it's a Chef's Choice

Haven't done it in a long time but I used to add chopped spicy kimchi and pickled ginger to my normal slaw ala Heirloom Bbq in Atlanta. Only ate it once but it made an impact on how flavorful slaw could be with smoked pork

Please post up the results. I've not tried Kewpie but hear it's a Chef's Choice
It's very sweet. I wouldn't use it with sweeter cabbages (Tendersweet, Farao, Omero, etc), but it shouldn't be an issue if using pre-shredded coleslaw mix - it's usually pretty bitter and my guess is that's what this recipe is designed around.

It does cut through vinegary sauces, so it will work ok in our household. My finishing sauce for butt is typically just hot sauce and apple cider vinegar. I think it would be sugar overload with a sweet sauce, but we don't do sweet sauces.

Blue Plate would have been a better choice than Kewpie. Blue Plate has a tang that would knock that sweet edge down a bit. I think Dukes would work too.

I did a 50-50 split of sweet and dill relish and that was also a mistake. The dill relish stands out like a sore thumb.

The relish is what made me pass, 2/3 of a cup?!?

I would cut back on the sugar too and add super thin sliced celery and carrot sticks. I'm also a fan of throwing in a little poppy seed salad dressing and powdered ranch dip mix.

But then.....you have a whole new recipe! :doh:

It's a double batch, so I don't think it's that much relish. I had to break out the full size steam table pan to mix it - it's a lot of slaw. It is getting better the longer it sits in the refrigerator.

I think next time I'll make krautsalat or freezer slaw.

Good starter recipe.I like slaw a little more fine textured than storebought shredded cabbage slaw.I usually give it a chop to make it finer or toss in in a food processor and just give it a few pulses.

Good starter recipe.I like slaw a little more fine textured than storebought shredded cabbage slaw.I usually give it a chop to make it finer or toss in in a food processor and just give it a few pulses.
Dole Angel Hair coleslaw if you're looking for pre-shredded.

About the only time I use an Ulu is chopping cabbage for sale. There are easue ways, but ----I get to use my Ulu

Made one yesterday for pulled pork sandwiches. Think it's in Big Bob Gibson book, maybe?, bag of slaw mix, 1/4 cup each of vinegar and sugar, dash of salt. Worked good.

I tried this recipe yesterday with one deviation. I cut the sugar back to 1/4 cup. It was tasty but still a bit too sweet. I think the sugar could be omitted completely or cut back to maybe a tablespoon. The onion and relish add a nice flavor profile. Ultimately I still prefer my simple slaw.

About the only time I use an Ulu is chopping cabbage for sale. There are easue ways, but ----I get to use my Ulu

Shoulder said for slaw, not for sale.

My spell check doesn't like slaw :))

Back