THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I don't know....When I took the judges class we were told to ignore personal likes and dislikes and to judge on the merit of what the chef was intending to do. From the scores it looks as if alot of the judges totally ignore that and rely on personal taste. That being said I can understand it because we are only human and it is difficult scoring something high that you wouldn't normally like. I myself love spicey and don't care for sweet. Subconciously it will be difficult for me to score a rib that had sweet barbecue sauce on it even though that is a perfectly valid flavor and what the chef intended. I would guess thats why the scores are so varied.

Sawdustguy said:
I don't know....When I took the judges class we were told to ignore personal likes and dislikes and to judge on the merit of what the chef was intending to do. From the scores it looks as if alot of the judges totally ignore that and rely on personal taste.

That's the exact thing that came to me also. I agree that it must be difficult to judge a piece of meat based upon the merits of what the chef was trying to do but it seems to me this is EXACTLY what they failed to do. And it probably works both ways. I'm positive the judges who gave me 999 and 888 like sweet Q. I'm just as certain that the judges who dropped the 735 and the 745 on me probably don't care for sweet Q. Like Wayne said, I have to try to stay more neutral in taste.

That being said, can anyone share a replacement spray for my ribs that might work? I've spent some time looking for a recipe today and nothing seems to be what I'm looking for.

BBQchef33 said:
apple juice.

plain, simple, not to anything. done.

FRESH apple juice.......keep your sprayer in the cooler and NOT out in the open heat........

And you saw my apple juice at BoCo.....it wasn't it's normal color....:mrgreen:

Solidkick said:
FRESH apple juice.......keep your sprayer in the cooler and NOT out in the open heat........

And you saw my apple juice at BoCo.....it wasn't it's normal color....:mrgreen:

Did a certain Mr. Jack Daniels have anything to do with the color mod? :grin:

Jeff_in_KC said:
Did a certain Mr. Jack Daniels have anything to do with the color mod? :grin:

Nope, non alcoholic addition.....but a year ago, when the pork finished 2nd and the brisket finished 3rd at BoCo, it was a 60-40 mix of applejuice and miller lite.
Hmmmmm....maybe I should go back to that.......:!:

• Thanks
Reactions: jt
Solidkick said:
Nope, non alcoholic addition.....but a year ago, when the pork finished 2nd and the brisket finished 3rd at BoCo, it was a 60-40 mix of applejuice and miller lite.
Hmmmmm....maybe I should go back to that.......:!:

Interesting, Kick... wonder if Miller Lite works best for a particular reason or if a fuller bodied darker beer would make a noticeable difference.

A dark beer may be better. I bet it works because once the alcohol and water evaporate the sugars in the beer are left to carmelize on the meat. Remember there is still alot of sugar in beer, even after it is brewed. The hops are used to take the sweetness out of the wort and the yeast dies after the wort mixture is only at about 5% alcohol. Forgive me, I forget the specific gravity number. The message is that there is still alot of unfermented sugar in the beer. We just don't taste it because of the bittering hops. The dark beer or more malty beer may give you more carmelization. There is only one way to find out.

I like the sound of all this and may try it on my next brisket. I've used a bourbon & apple juice spray a lot but hadn't considered beer. I've got 2 briskets waiting for my next smoke so may have to do a test....

Sawdustguy said:
A dark beer may be better. I bet it works because once the alcohol and water evaporate the sugars in the beer are left to carmelize on the meat. Remember there is still alot of sugar in beer, even after it is brewed. The hops are used to take the sweetness out of the wort and the yeast dies after the wort mixture is only at about 5% alcohol. Forgive me, I forget the specific gravity number. The message is that there is still alot of unfermented sugar in the beer. We just don't taste it because of the bittering hops. The dark beer or more malty beer may give you more carmelization. There is only one way to find out.

Excellent explaination of something I tried by chance.....it certainly makes sense as it is explained here....and I thought I was just being nice and adding it to the apple juice because Miller Lite is one of our sponsors.....

I'm doing some test runs on some chicken today.......different injections and rubs.....I will do a spray comparision to what I've switched to now, and what I used a year ago and see if there's a difference in appearance.

I've used a mix of apple juice and rum before, and the ribs came out very good. I'm not sure if the difference between that and straight AJ was that much, however.

Also, I read somewhere (I can't remember where) that some folks use a mix of juice and oil as Sami mentioned. The theory that I read was that the oil helps keep the meat moist and the juice add flavor and carmelization.

Back