Rotisserie Whole Hog Advice Needed (1st Cook on Sat)

93_confirmed

Take a breath!
I finally pulled the trigger on a whole animal rotisserie and went with the GSW-1 model from Charotis ($339 shipped). It holds up to 100lbs and has a wind shield that is supposed to conserve full. I put it together and it seems really well built/designed.

http://www.charotis.com/model-gsw1.html

I ordered a 40# live weight/25# dressed hog that was raised locally and killed fresh ($3.40/lb). I've read a bunch of articles and watched YT videos but I really haven't found any resources that specifically cover the steps/process involved with a rotisserie/spit cook. I'm loosely following a combination of Aaron Franklin's PBS video and Meathead's whole hog article.

https://wgby.org/episode/32812
https://amazingribs.com/tested-reci...rk-recipes/going-whole-hog-what-you-need-know

I'd like to hear from the brethren who have cooked hogs rotisserie/spit style to better understand the coal setup, cook time, how to monitor pit temp with a digital and overall doneness temp. Any pitfalls to watch out for?

25lbs Will not be very big but it will be darned tasty! Brethren gtr (Greg) does rotisserie pigs that turn out beautiful. Maybe he will chime in.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Maybe I will! :laugh: Thanks for the kind words, Jeanie!

I've only done 'em on the rotis a couple times, but I have learned a couple things. I don't see a need to baste them - just hit the skin with K salt and IMO yer good to go with that. I like injecting mine - not necessary, of course, but I like it and get good reactions when I do. The first time I did just charcoal - didn't get the smoke flavor I like (probably 'cause I did just charcoal. :loco:)
Not sure why I didn't think about throwing chunks on there (might have something to do with the 80's :wacko:).

Last time I burned down oak and hickory to coals & shoveled - farking loved loved loved that! I think I'll do it this way any time I can.

In general, my goal is to be able to cook without needing to use a lot of devices, but the Polder dual sensor therm was a big help to me. Without it I found I was dramatically overestimating the temp I was cooking at (luckily I did a trial run with a turkey before doing the pig).

polder-dual-sensor-oven-thermometer.jpg

It let me know the cook temp and the IT at the same time - it was esp. helpful for letting me know the heat was hitting the piggy at 250, which I have found to be a good temp for this. I stuck one in a ham and one in a shoulder.

Not sure how it goes with a smaller pig, but you gotta be careful with the bigger ones about how far along you cook 'em - take 'em all the way to pulling temps and it'll probably fall off the spit and into the fire. I think I went to around 190 and started looking to see if I should be getting worried. Allow a little time to either lower the pig or raise the fire to hit that skin real good at the end - you'll be glad you did when you get that delicious crispy cracklin.

I second the pics. I have also been wanting to try this.

Sucking Pig

I finally pulled the trigger on a whole animal rotisserie and went with the GSW-1 model from Charotis ($339 shipped). It holds up to 100lbs and has a wind shield that is supposed to conserve full. I put it together and it seems really well built/designed.

http://www.charotis.com/model-gsw1.html

I ordered a 40# live weight/25# dressed hog that was raised locally and killed fresh ($3.40/lb). I've read a bunch of articles and watched YT videos but I really haven't found any resources that specifically cover the steps/process involved with a rotisserie/spit cook. I'm loosely following a combination of Aaron Franklin's PBS video and Meathead's whole hog article.

https://wgby.org/episode/32812
https://amazingribs.com/tested-reci...rk-recipes/going-whole-hog-what-you-need-know

I'd like to hear from the brethren who have cooked hogs rotisserie/spit style to better understand the coal setup, cook time, how to monitor pit temp with a digital and overall doneness temp. Any pitfalls to watch out for?

Hi Do they sell sucking pigs also?
Thanks DanB

Great advice!

Thanks for the all the info. I had thought about the dual therms and will see what I can find before Sat. My fallback was to rig up my Smoke to the wind shield to check the heat temp and then stop the spit 2 hours in and frequently after to check the meat temp.

Lawdy....$339 for a rotisserie that has a much larger capacity than my Weber kettle rotisserie?? **backs out of thread slowly, wallet in hand**

:laugh: I hadn't thought about the comparison between this and the Weber rotisserie but yeah, for another $150 you can get my model without the windshield. If/when you need a cover for yours, they sell them for $50 shipped and it's heavy duty.

Hi Do they sell sucking pigs also?
Thanks DanB

I'm pretty sure they do. Here are a couple of NJ farms to call up. They all do whole hog of all sizes and the pricing is better than I got from Restaurant Depot and City Beef (Trenton).

Dey Farm (Cranbury)
Godek (Freehold)
Hernandez Beef (Elizabeth)

Around here, lots of folks cook whole hogs on homemade rotisseries added to a cooker made from old fuel oil barrels. I've actually done this several times for fundraisers and weddings, etc., and we always wrapped in chicken wire to prevent it from falling off or if it got loose on the spit.....that kind of messes up presentation but is an option if you are worried.....

Good Luck with your cook. Can't wait to see pics!

Ed

I had the cook on Thursday and here's how it went.

We went to the farm early AM to grab the hog and it was incredible. Out in the parking lot, they had a group of workers prepping freshly killed *huge) hogs by burning/trimming hair. We walk in, pay our balance and the woman asks if we want it butterflied, which we did. We peek into the next room and they quickly throw our hog on the table, slice it open, pull out the guts and chainsaw it open in what seems like 60 seconds. It was shocking, awesome, and impressive. They bagged it up and we walked out. Before we left, we noticed in the next shed over, they had live chickens in cages and a line. Turns out you can hand pick your chicken and it's then taken down an assembly line of processing and into a bag in just a few minutes. Killed, de-feathered, trimmed and washed up. Wow.

Once we got home we starting prepping it. We're sort of in awe of having a whole animal and once that looked so perfect. It was a beautiful hog. We trimmed up some excess fat (there wasn't much), rubbed it down with mustard and hit the cavity with a ton of rub. On the skin we just did water and kosher salt. After that we had to jam the spit rod into the skull, which had a nice loud crunch and then it was just a matter of attaching the brackets and trussing the cavity with butcher's twine.

We loaded it onto the spit and had three chimneys of Weber briqs ready to go. We made four piles on the spit - one under each shoulder and ham and kept the center open. I took the bottom and lid of WSM and filled it with the feeder coals and sat it next to the spit and this worked really well as sort of a jumbo smokey joe that was ready with lit when we needed it. We foiled the ears and tail to prevent burning and fired it up. Seeing a whole hog spinning like that was really incredible and mesmerizing and we felt so accomplished having gotten to that point after so much research and planning.

At this point it was just a matter of replenishing coals and watching for wind and flames from dripping. Guests and random neighbors started to show up and everyone was blown away but seeing the setup. It was an experience and everyone there can now say they were part of a whole hog roast.

A couple hours in I started to probe the hams and noticed that the temp was much lower than I thought it would be but the skin was looking really nice. We added even more coals and lowered one rung to add more heat to the hog. This helped a lot with ultimately crisping the skin and speeding up the cook but unfortunately, it was a too little too late situation.

I read a lot of conflicting info about how long this cook was going to take and this turned out to be the one area that really screwed us. The calculation I kept seeing was something like 1 hour and 15 for every 10 pounds, which is 3 hours + for a 25lber. We went conservative and had it on at 1PM for a 6PM dinner time so 5 hours give or take. Well, we were way off! 6.5 hours in and it still need probably another 1-1.5 hours, which we didn't have so we were forced to stop early. I was shooting for 185F in the hams and barely got to 175F.

The skin color and texture was absolutely picture perfect but the meat was almost impossible to pull. We were under a lot of pressure to get this served as everyone was waiting inside and we also had a few people watching us prepare it as we're struggling to butcher it properly. I felt really bad because I knew that if this thing had more time to spin - it would have been a flawless cook. It just wasn't good and honestly I spent so much time prepping for all the steps up until the done temp that I didn't have a plan or backup for any snafus with the serving.

All in all it was an amazing experience and we really nailed the process for being first time hog cooks on a pit that we had never used. I hope anyone who reads will learn from my mistakes and if anyone has questions feel free to fire away.

vQdZ8CU9bVYxo-EwkDkmir5L-bneh4rzznI16saUWOUYaMlzd7Wbaiy4KiIxes_uBiDKBtZ1h2pQ7CwfPXoru5qQ5wUbXtmuWQRkOgM4A39UQmbwHgVQ0Zi9TFq0fdwOsmbvyrCn1vM=w1299-h974-no

c9GIntLUKRjD0XdF7-GYjJEI7KB55TbbzrQQh9uy8gLuIbtDALzk0ucRxVvrmWiiV0ttCIsZtJrL0zHCwM3RFCc4v1n45kH-amemvKeS_Oj4uJZlq_0JIbFGnI8yqXl67edHkXu93t0=w1299-h974-no

l28fZAlCOC6FUpEIAimYEeCP_C7f0j32cTCL6_WWYp1Uru0Fx4ldj-07b-e696yymmACuqxQYffiWxTLGON5ES9rzcLZ0k2TCYJgSnQbyXAxesH_bkRskPpqXdcITWWcN9qdSTexAJ4=w1299-h974-no

tcDW03TtHygDEdV6zJ-DehAXbjczdJC1OmgiNPObZ6PNJm1c6cZvASiKhX8-pN_rQ42K50KKwfd-FEQm-Fmw7f4DYRIIOpm_yR1sc6qhY47XmxiJXklj84cX2tR2vm8A9POqM08TwtA=w1299-h974-no

5A47K6uI2jLoNJOckkvL-PyclTuSZ58jKj1Ht4kDCwgNrZoC1Fa29BI4sAt5XBS-vsdzlCH_erh_PSOEXdiynySGevVCxJ9d4fK-g_B1JRcA5z3IAau_D_4hdYDdPqFpHodoMDhx7-I=w1299-h974-no

Last edited:
Well done, thank you for the pictures and update. I am sure with your next cook you will nail it.
Once again well done.

Thanks for the pix and report!

IMO it's easy to overestimate what temp you're cooking at, 'cause that's what I did on my test run. That dual therm helped me a lot and I was really surprised at the difference between what I thought was a hot enough temp and what it actually was.

Nice color on that critter!

How'd you like the rotis unit? That is one of the ones I was considering, but I don't have a lot of room in my garage for something like that, so I went with one that's basically a couple stands, a spit and a motor.

Thanks for the pix and report!

IMO it's easy to overestimate what temp you're cooking at, 'cause that's what I did on my test run. That dual therm helped me a lot and I was really surprised at the difference between what I thought was a hot enough temp and what it actually was.

Nice color on that critter!

How'd you like the rotis unit? That is one of the ones I was considering, but I don't have a lot of room in my garage for something like that, so I went with one that's basically a couple stands, a spit and a motor.

I have the Maverick and Smoke but couldn't figure out a good way to rig it up to measure the pit temp. I tried holding the thermapen over the fire but it was giving inconsistent temps. We were flying blind and we're probably cooking at 200F thinking it was 250-275F.

I like the rotiserrie a lot. Everything is stainless and the fact that it comes with the forks, double brackets and back plate sealed the deal for me. I paid an extra $50 for the cover from them and its a very thick, durable mostly waterproof material. I store it outside and no issues at all. :thumb:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Back