Traveling during middle of whole hog cook??????

mowin

Full Fledged Farker
Smoking a 100lb whole hog this weekend for a graduation party. Cooking on a 250gal RF trailer.

My issue is the venue doesn't open until 9am, and I'm starting the cook around 10pm the night before. It's only 12 miles, and I would like to be set up well before the party starts at 1pm.

Has anyone done this before? I'm planning on letting the fire go out and clean out the fire box so ashes don't blow around or out of the pit. Anything else I'm not thinking about.

The only experience I have is from a friend who didn't clean out his firebox and the airflow from driving re-ignited the fire and it got so hot that is melted the fire box! So... Make sure that the firebox is clean!

Rodney Scott told a similar story about having to change location during the middle of a cook. He said after traveling for a few minutes they looked in the rearview mirror and the hog was on fire. If you do plan to move, make sure the fire is COMPLETELY out.

Rodney Scott told a similar story about having to change location during the middle of a cook. He said after traveling for a few minutes they looked in the rearview mirror and the hog was on fire. If you do plan to move, make sure the fire is COMPLETELY out.

Fire will be out, and all ashes and embers will be removed

I've done that....but not with whole hog. Butts and others. You lose a little time and have to start a fire with meat already in pit.

Nope...Long story short when i was a kid my dad had a tow behind and tried to move it a few miles. Its a good way to start a fire, make a big mess (even if the fire is out with grease flying where it shouldnt be), and ruin a cook.

I would either ask for access the day before, or have the hog cooked and placed in coolers prior to moving it.

If you are worried about presentation, i would build a plywood coffin of sorts and transport it on that.

See link, flat base, then removable sides/top.

https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/roasted-pig-on-foil-gm91589890-10209429

If it was me, i would get coolers and break down meat before hand and just keep the head in its own cooler for presentation.
I've been to pig roast, and besides the 1 minute of fascinations of a dead pig being there, no one gives a crap and you are going to have flies, bugs, and heat bothering you while you try to break it down.

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/roasted-pig-head-on-plate-ripe-1236831010

Last edited:
The only experience I have is from a friend who didn't clean out his firebox and the airflow from driving re-ignited the fire and it got so hot that is melted the fire box! So... Make sure that the firebox is clean!
I was at that comp!

Just a crazy idea, but what about putting an electric heating element like those charcoal starters inside the firebox providing you have some sort of dc to ac power source in the vehicle.

Back