Rotisserie Stuffed Pork Loin with Peanut Mole

robert-r

is Blowin Smoke!
When visiting family in Salt Lake City for Christmas & other occasions, we have gone out for dinner at the Red Iguana.
One of our favorite items on the menu is the pork loin in peanut mole.
Well.... SLC is along ways away & we were desperate for a fix.

First... you need to make the mole. It's pretty ez & I suggest doing it a day or two in advance. It reheats quite well.
Mole recipe here: http://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-smoky-peanut-mole-s-story.html

Stuffed a pork loin. Coated the inside with evoo, salt, pepper & minced garlic. Filled it with sun dried tomatoes, jumbo yellow raisins, slivered almonds & chard.

Rolled up, tied, coated with evoo, salt, pepper & into the 14.5 WSM.

PICT2268_zps2zf3vdgj.jpg

It went for a ride over a full ring of KBB & 4 chunks apple for over an hour. Sprintzed with red wine 3 or 4 times. Temps were well north of 400*. At one time they exceeded 550*.

PICT2261_zpsfjvz2ypu.jpg

Pulled the roast when the internal temp hit 140*.

PICT2272_zpsaeinerwb.jpg

Loosely tented under foil for 15 minutes & sliced.

PICT2277_zps8lzmcfy6.jpg

Served with mashed potatoes, peanut mole & some salad.

PICT2288_zpsljef3nyb.jpg

Mas Fino!!!

Why no beans & rice? You just have to try mashed potatoes & peanut mole sauce (our twist).

In retrospect... probably should have let the roast go to 145*. It was plenty moist... could have been cooked a tad longer.
Wifey would like more stuffing in the roast.

fwiw - If you are allergic to peanuts, I believe almonds would work as a substitute.

Last edited:
Awesome Robert! You inspired me for my dinner, I have chicken breast that needs cooked today so it's going to be cordon bleu on the roti.

Looks amazing, Loved the Red Iguana when I used to live near SLC. Miss their Killer Nachos. Thanks for sharing

Looks fantastic, great cook!

Question...Just wondering why you think it would have been better, if cooked longer...textural thing? Pulling at 140, should certainly carry over to the desired 145, sounds perfect to me.

Looks fantastic, great cook!

Question...Just wondering why you think it would have been better, if cooked longer...textural thing? Pulling at 140, should certainly carry over to the desired 145, sounds perfect to me.

Maybe I got that backwards & should have pulled it sooner? The pork could have been a little more tender, per SWMBO.

Back