THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

robert-r

is Blowin Smoke!
Torrential rains, high winds & flash flood advisories..... & I wanted to cook Picanha for the first time.

Went to the local high zoot grocery store (CAB beef) the day before & asked the meat cutters if they would cut a Picanha for me.
Sure.... what's that? It's aka as sirloin cap. Yeah.... no problem. What does it cost? $10/lb. What does one of those weigh? About 2 pounds.
Gulp... OK. So one of them cuts it, trims the fat cap a bit & puts it on the scale: 4.4 pounds. Shee...

So after that, I'm going to cook it come hell or high water. Well... it's def high water. Can't do it on the back porch - it's uncovered.
I decided to do it on the covered front porch, although there is only one little light out there. No biggie - I can run an extension cord for lighting & the rotisserie.

I trimmed the fat off the meat side of the roast, squared it up a bit, cut it into 4 slices along the grain (saved 2 for another day), & put them on the spit.
I gave each side a heavy dusting of coarse sea salt & let them sit for 30 minutes at room temperature.

32054695990_fcc4de6238_b.jpg

Into the 14.5 WSM over a full ring of KBB, 5 chunks of mesquite & temp at 385*. Direct cook - no diffuser.

31589365094_bf9538d2ed_b.jpg

About 30 minutes in & cooker temp is now 350*:

32432436555_c484eb3949_b.jpg

50 minutes with an internal temp of 135* & pulled.

32054695730_bdda8b6f95_b.jpg

After foiling (loose tent) & 10 minute rest.

31589365004_a3cd30899c_b.jpg
[/url]

Plated with pinquito beans, garlic bread & sliced avocado. Time To Eat!!!!

32054695590_a04c075060_b.jpg

Ao melhor!

Have never had Picanha but that looks like an mighty tasty dinner.

That's a big ole hunk o' meat!

Looks very good.

Want to give it a shot at some point. Can't find it anywhere around here, but I keep looking. Only tried one Butcher and I got a blank stare response.

Yeah for some reason SoCal it's almost impossible to find unless you live next to a Brazilian market.

Looks very good.

Want to give it a shot at some point. Can't find it anywhere around here, but I keep looking. Only tried one Butcher and I got a blank stare response.

It's also called a rump cap if I recall. Only found it a couple times here, and only at one store.

Looks very good.

Thank you.

Tell the butcher you want a sirloin cap roast. Or a rump cap as LYU370 suggested. Be prepared to do a little trimming yourself.

It's def worth cooking. I was kicking myself regards the price. I could have got a prime packer at Costco for that much money.
However... I think it's way better than any brisket I've ever had or cooked.

Back