Ridiculous Price of Guru

I'm not knocking it, They should just say $271-$291.....Thats what it'll cost to get a fan, pit probe and adaptor, they should remove the $179 since you can buy the same DigiQ DX to the right of the one I'm talking about. Thats all I'm saying

They have package prices,

I think the main reason for the high prices for the Guru and Stoker is simply volume. There is just not a huge demand for these type of products so they aren't mass produced in Asia.

Bob,

So, if you had designed and built the first indoor electric or gas oven, you wouldn't have added temperature control? Of course you would have.

I've been cooking for over 40 years. I started on those $4.99 grills that have no lid and have legs like the cheapest TV dinner trays. Aluminum foil served as my lid. In all modesty, I doubt that there are many people who can control the temp of a Weber kettle any better than I can. But the NanoQ put that ability on steroids.

Of course, this part is experience, but I can open the lid, and pop charcoal in every hour or so as needed in seconds, as I have one of my cast iron grates removed (over my charcoal basket). And, I don't stand there and take pictures like some (no offense intended to anyone, I'd do it, but it would screw up my cook).

But even considering that, the NanoQ has given me the ability to tightly control very low temps that I'd guess are a 40% improvement over what I could do without it. That's a major improvement.

Bill,
Just curious, in your 40 years of experience, what did you cook on in between the 5 dollar grills and the Kettle? Share with us how you can control the temp on a kettle better than most everyone else.(Modesty Mod):icon_blush: I'd like to know that secret. All I do is set it up a banked method, go Minion, and get 6-7 hour smokes on my kettle with a temp variance of 5-10*. At that point, coal is spent and another fresh load of coal is needed to keep it going for a large cook like a picnic or a brisket. I don't need to add charcoal every hour. What's your secret? I want to know. Share the kettle wealth us. Seems you got it figured out. If your skills were already that good, how did the NQ put it on roids for ya?

Bob

Last edited:
Hey Bob--

I use it specifically to be as accurate and precise as possible. I will get big temperature swings if im using lump charcoal, or wood, or a combination as they burn down. If I want to cook at a hotter temperature and use a water pan it gets a little difficult to maintain a constant higher consistent temperature. There are too many variables to consider coupled with wind and the cold. I like playing it safe and it has been well worth the money I spent.

Great info, Brother. I can see where coal type would make a difference as well as being a Q Competitor and wanting that type of accuracy and consistency when doing comp style cooking. Worth the investment indeed. That water pan is a HUGE variable as well. Thanks for the info. This is along the lines of what I was looking for.

Bob

I think the main reason for the high prices for the Guru and Stoker is simply volume. There is just not a huge demand for these type of products so they aren't mass produced in Asia.
Good point.

I own both a Stoker and a Guru. I highly recommend either.
Luke,
Can you share your experiences such as what kind of pit you use em on and the differences for each? Would appreciate the insight.

I use both the stoker and a guru for comps....Like to control the stuff myself at home.
Poppa,
I liked your post. Can you share the "at home" vs "the other" with us? How big is the difference or why comps vs at home? I'd love to hear your insight.

Bob

Last edited:
Maybe I'll word it differant. A while back I had my UDS running at a constant temp, 230F? , I threw a 8 lb pork butt on, watched my temp for a while and went to bed. In the mourning I hoped every thing was fine, luckily it was, but I feel a Guru/Stoker would be nice to have. I've also had my UDS temp get away from me, usally when I'm not watching. Example mentioned above. My complaint was the price Guru has on their web site. Don't advertise $179 and by the time you click on color, the price jumped $100. Just put the $291 to beging with. That's all I'm saying.

What are you talking about?

You clicked the wrong link on the BBQGuru website. That ain't their fault. That's your fault.

What are you talking about?

You clicked the wrong link on the BBQGuru website. That ain't their fault. That's your fault.
No! it's their fault for false advertisement! They show two DIGIQ DX's correct? A green one for $179 and a blue one for $179. The BLUE unit say's $179, (NO Fan, No adaptor) THAT's simple! Then you look at the Green Digiq DX and it say's build a package for $179 PEROID!!! End of story! I think they (GURU) should put the real price of ($271-$291) on the Green DigiQ build a package, since it's not the $179 they advertise. The Green unit makes a person believe it's $179, when it's not.
http://www.thebbqguru.com/categories/BBQ-Guru-Controls-and-Packages/

I don't think the Guru site is being deceptive. I spent about two weeks researching these devices and I spent a lot of time on the Guru web site. I never got confused by the pricing or the site navigation. It makes sense that individual components would be sold individually as well as complete kits with the fan, probe, and unit.

I really like the Guru products. They are battle tested and do what they are advertised to do. The NanoQ kit is reasonably priced and anyone looking for help in maintaining temps in a cooker a like BGE, BSK, WSM, etc., will get their money's worth out of it.

Right now, I cook on a UDS and a Bubba Keg. Both of those cookers can hold stable temps with minimal tending. But, they do need some minimal adjustments a couple of times throughout cooks. With winter coming on, I was looking for something that could reduce the number of trips outside in the cold to tend cookers. I also wanted something that would let me monitor meat temps as I was out running errands.

Those reasons are why I bought the Stoker rather than the Guru. The Stoker's web interface and 3rd party freeware let's me monitor and control temps from my PC inside my house. It is also capable of being accessed from my iPhone through the Internet and it sends updates to my iPhone via text messages. The network features are why I bought the Stoker. The Stoker can also run several cookers at the same time. All you need to do is purchase probes and fans to add cookers.

From what I can tell, the Guru has a more friendly controls on the unit than the Stoker without using the web interface. If you are hanging out with the smoker at home or a comp, the Guru might be a bit easier to use. The Stoker's front panel interface is a little more complicated than the NanoQ's IMO, for example.

Last edited:
Bill,
Just curious, in your 40 years of experience, what did you cook on in between the 5 dollar grills and the Kettle?

A wide variety of cheap home grills, grills that were installed in parks on family outings, and a variety of propane grills. The Weber kettle was the first high quality ceramic kettle I ever bought.

Share with us how you can control the temp on a kettle better than most everyone else.(Modesty Mod):icon_blush:

I did. Re-read what I posted.

In the immortal words of Myron Mixon... keep it simple.

You do a proper prep: get your meat ready, get your tools ready (clean and prep your grill ahead of time), get your fuel out and in a place that's readily accessable (I'll often take some scissors and cut off the top of the bag so I can quickly grab and apply the fuel as needed). I generally leave one of my cast iron grates off (the one over the charcoal basket) so I can quickly add my fuel as needed.

I'd like to know that secret. All I do is set it up a banked method, go Minion, and get 6-7 hour smokes on my kettle with a temp variance of 5-10*. At that point, coal is spent and another fresh load of coal is needed to keep it going for a large cook like a picnic or a brisket. I don't need to add charcoal every hour. What's your secret? I want to know. Share the kettle wealth us. Seems you got it figured out. If your skills were already that good, how did the NQ put it on roids for ya?
Bob

Read above. I do a Minion start, but prefer to add coal as needed, generally every 1-1 1/2 hours. This is partially from habit, but also from practical experience: it's generally accepted science that the smoke from charcoal is a carcinogin. A cancer causing agent. Hence the reason I've always tried to minimize that smoke. By placing it in as needed, I can physically park it in the hot spot and continue an even burn while minimizing the smouldering: you cannot do that with your method. Your hot spots are moving as your fire spreads though the banked coals, and you cannot compensate.

And, by minimizing the smouldering, the food tastes better, as it's getting less charcoal taste and more natural flavor enhanced by my rubs and injections.

Finally, I'm using less fuel, and by adding it as needed, I'm keeping my target temp closer.

Now, my turn: you didn't answer my question:

If you had been the one who designed the first electric or gas stove, wouldn't you have included temperature control? Is there an icon for ducking a question? :p

Last edited:
I don't think the Guru site is being deceptive. I spent about two weeks researching these devices and I spent a lot of time on the Guru web site. I never got confused by the pricing or the site navigation. It makes sense that individual components would be sold individually as well as complete kits with the fan, probe, and unit.

I really like the Guru products. They are battle tested and do what they are advertised to do. The NanoQ kit is reasonably priced and anyone looking for help in maintaining temps in a cooker a like BGE, BSK, WSM, etc., will get their money's worth out of it.

Right now, I cook on a UDS and a Bubba Keg. Both of those cookers can hold stable temps with minimal tending. But, they do need some minimal adjustments a couple of times throughout cooks. With winter coming on, I was looking for something that could reduce the number of trips outside in the cold to tend cookers. I also wanted something that would let me monitor meat temps as I was out running erands.

Those reasons are why I bought the Stoker rather than the Guru. The Stoker's web interface and 3rd party freeware let's me monitor and control temps from my PC inside my house. It is also capable of being accessed from my iPhone through the Internet and it sends updates to my iPhone via text messages. The network features are why I bought the Stoker. The Stoker can also run several cookers at the same time. All you need to do is purchase probes and fans to add cookers.

From what I can tell, the Guru has a more friendly controls on the unit than the Stoker without using the web interface. If you are hanging out with the smoker at home or a comp, the Guru might be a bit easier to use. The Stoker's front panel interface is a little more complicated than the NanoQ's IMO, for example.

Gotta smile at the underlined passage. I was born and raised in Michigan, and have anti-freeze for my blood. You're a Virginia guy: you don't know what cold is. :-D

No! it's their fault for false advertisement! They show two DIGIQ DX's correct? A green one for $179 and a blue one for $179. The BLUE unit say's $179, (NO Fan, No adaptor) THAT's simple! Then you look at the Green Digiq DX and it say's build a package for $179 PEROID!!! End of story! I think they (GURU) should put the real price of ($271-$291) on the Green DigiQ build a package, since it's not the $179 they advertise. The Green unit makes a person believe it's $179, when it's not.
http://www.thebbqguru.com/categories/BBQ-Guru-Controls-and-Packages/

You really are determined to make a huge ordeal out of nothing. I says build a package and shows you the starting price of the base unit. Also a package can go for as little as
Guru products are well designed and work fantastic. I recommend one.

I have 4 Gurus that I use on my kettle, performer, 18 WSM and 22 WSM. I was not confused by their web site and I really enjoy using their product. I like the set and forget mentality of cooking. On my 22 WSM, in moderate temps with no wind I have gotten a 20 hour burn at 230 with no refueling. Makes it real nice for cooking unfoiled butts and briskets. I have only done a couple cooks without the Guru and on those I found cooker temp was influenced by outside temp which meant a lot more attention had to be paid during overnight cooks as the outdoor temp cooled off. The Guru counters for this and lets me sleep. I have found that the Guru is not totally idiot proof; wind can throw a major curve at you and make it difficult for the Guru to hold a constant temp. It will usually run hotter due to the added air flow. But all in all I am very happy with the Gurus performance and use it on my cooks, large and small.

Right now, I cook on a UDS and a Bubba Keg. Both of those cookers can hold stable temps with minimal tending. But, they do need some minimal adjustments a couple of times throughout cooks. With winter coming on, I was looking for something that could reduce the number of trips outside in the cold to tend cookers. I also wanted something that would let me monitor meat temps as I was out running errands.

I'm with you, I just want a unit that'll watch my smoker while I'm not. Weather it be Guru or Stoker, Thanks for sharing:thumb:

I have 4 Gurus that I use on my kettle, performer, 18 WSM and 22 WSM. I was not confused by their web site and I really enjoy using their product. I like the set and forget mentality of cooking. On my 22 WSM, in moderate temps with no wind I have gotten a 20 hour burn at 230 with no refueling. Makes it real nice for cooking unfoiled butts and briskets. I have only done a couple cooks without the Guru and on those I found cooker temp was influenced by outside temp which meant a lot more attention had to be paid during overnight cooks as the outdoor temp cooled off. The Guru counters for this and lets me sleep. I have found that the Guru is not totally idiot proof; wind can throw a major curve at you and make it difficult for the Guru to hold a constant temp. It will usually run hotter due to the added air flow. But all in all I am very happy with the Gurus performance and use it on my cooks, large and small.
Thanks for insight, I want one for the same reason

OK to all that think I'm bashing GURU, I'm NOT, I had a poor choice of words in the Title on this post. If I could change the title I would. I would love to have a GURU or Stoker on my smoker. Thanks for all that expressed their views:amen:

Back