Reverse Seared Beef Tenderloin Tails - Lots of Pr0n

GrillinFool

Full Fledged Farker
This is my dad's latest contribution to GrillinFools.com. It's an clever use of the tips of the tenderloin primal cut and his best photography to date:

I noticed something new in the meat case at the local club store during a recent shopping trip…beef tenderloin tails! I spoke with the staff and asked why they weren’t in the case regularly? The meat clerk stated that they typically receive 2 types of beef tenderloin. One arrives trimmed or steak-ready and the other is received whole. Should they sell out of the steak-ready variety they will open the whole tenderloin to cut single filets from it. Since the thinner tails don’t yield a significant size steak the store merchandises them 2 in a package at a reduced price. So… let this tale begin.
At the reduced cost this appeared to be a pretty good deal to this old Grillin’ Fool. I’ve always tied 2 pork tenderloins together to achieve uniform size for even cooking and used that for the inspiration of this grilling recipe. It only seems natural to try it with beef, particularly since there is no way of cooking just one of these to a uniform doneness all the way through. No matter what, the tapered end will be much more done than the thick end even if the thick end is only cooked to medium rare. But with two, I can tie them together, fat end to skinny, and get medium rare all the way through.
Here’s what beef tenderloin tails look like in the package, on a cutting board with a pen to judge size and a picture of how thick the ends are:
Grilled-Beef-Tenderloin-Tails-01.jpg
In the package

Grilled-Beef-Tenderloin-Tails-05.jpg
In relation to an ink pen

Grilled-Beef-Tenderloin-Tails-04.jpg
The thick end

The ingredients for this grilling recipe:
2 beef tenderloin tails approximately 1.5-2 lbs.
Olive oil.
Crawdad’s Classics Steak & Burger Seasoning.
Grilled-Beef-Tenderloin-Tails-07.jpg
Ingredients sans oil

Grilled-Beef-Tenderloin-Tails-13.jpg
Crawdad’s Classics Steak and Burger Seasoning and the Oil

Now brief word about Crawdad’s Classics Steak & Burger Seasoning. Since being introduced to this product a few months ago it has become my go-to rub for beef steak. It isn’t your standard Montreal-type of seasoning. It has its very own special blend of seasonings that all 3 Grillin’ Fools rave about. Where can you obtain it? The company is working hard to gain distribution in stores nationally but you can always click on the ad at the right of the page to order on-line or click here. Crawdad’s Classics products are available metro-area at Kenrick’s, Arnold Stove & Fireplace Center, and Leisure Time Outdoors (Belleville). Please support our sponsors so they can continue to support us. We can’t produce this website without their help.
The beef tenderloin tails are brought up to room temperature and tied together thin end to thick end to prepare them for the grill:
Grilled-Beef-Tenderloin-Tails-09.jpg
Fat end to skinny

Grilled-Beef-Tenderloin-Tails-10.jpg
Lash them together

Grilled-Beef-Tenderloin-Tails-12.jpg
Lashed

A liberal dusting of Crawdad’s Classics Steak & Burger Seasoning is applied to the beef tenderloin:
Grilled-Beef-Tenderloin-Tails-14.jpg
Hit it with the Crawdad’s Classics seasoning

Don’t forget the ends!
Grilled-Beef-Tenderloin-Tails-16.jpg
Seasoned, ends and all

Lubed with olive oil and ready for the grill.
Grilled-Beef-Tenderloin-Tails-18.jpg
Lubing

Grilled-Beef-Tenderloin-Tails-19.jpg
Lubed

The Char-Broil 500X is set up for indirect cooking with coals on the left and the beef on the right and a grill temp between 275-300.
Grilled-Beef-Tenderloin-Tails-17.jpg
Starting the Grill

Grilled-Beef-Tenderloin-Tails-20.jpg
Coals hot and hickory ready to smoke

I enjoy a bit of hickory flavor with beef tenderloin. When I grill whole tenderloins, which are much thicker than this, I’ll include a mixture of cherry and hickory with the grilling recipe, but I’m going for a light smoke here. A heavier smoke would do an injustice to thinner tails in my opinion.
Put the beef tenderloin on the grill on the side with no coals to indirect/smoke for approximately 40-45 minutes:
Grilled-Beef-Tenderloin-Tails-21.jpg
On the Grill

40-45 minutes is an approximation for that temperature and size of the meat. Both temp and size will vary, so look for an internal temperature of the meat to get to 120-125 degree so that once we sear it, the beef tenderloin will be medium rare.
The lid is closed and I’m off to a search for an appropriate beverage to pair with this grilling recipe:
Grilled-Beef-Tenderloin-Tails-22.jpg
Close the grill

Found one!
Grilled-Beef-Tenderloin-Tails-24.jpg
Gary Farrell 2009 Pinot Noir

The beef tenderloin tails are looking good after 40 minutes. The Crawdad’s Classics has melded into the roasted meat:
Grilled-Beef-Tenderloin-Tails-26.jpg
40 minutes in

I misplaced my thermometer so I’ll rely on the thumb test to check for doneness. Note: the thumb test will be one finger or notch off when applied to beef tenderloin due to the tenderness of the cut so what feels like rare on most steaks is actually medium rare on a tenderloin/filet.
Now that the smoke flavor has been imparted on the beef tenderloin tails, It’s time to reverse-sear them to put on that glorious flavor crust which means the meat’s going over the heat. The proteins will caramelize and the Crawdad’s Classics will char adding multiple layers to the flavor profile:
Grilled-Beef-Tenderloin-Tails-27.jpg
Onto the fire

Grilled-Beef-Tenderloin-Tails-28.jpg
Getting crusty

The beef is pulled to the cutting board then foiled to rest for 10 minutes.
Grilled-Beef-Tenderloin-Tails-29.jpg
Off the heat

Grilled-Beef-Tenderloin-Tails-30.jpg
Rats! Foiled again…

Why let it rest and for how long? When meat comes off the grill, the juices are in an excited state due to the heat. If you slice it right away then the juices will come rushing out. Letting the meat rest will allow the juices to calm down and redistribute throughout the cut of meat making sure every bite is juicy and delicious. And how long depends on the size of the meat. a steak should be rested for a couple minutes. For a bone in roast this big, rest for 10-12 minutes.
Now I get to try out my new Shun chef’s knife. I’ve really learned to appreciate fine cutlery recently. I had the opportunity to use a vintage model of this blade while grilling with Cat Neville and decided I had to own one myself. The feel and the way it handles is simply superb. I think it is the Mercedes of fine knives.
Grilled-Beef-Tenderloin-Tails-25.jpg
Shun!

First slice! What? Is that a hint of pink?
Grilled-Beef-Tenderloin-Tails-311.jpg
Love at first slice

Yeah baby!!
Grilled-Beef-Tenderloin-Tails-321.jpg
Outstanding

Wouldja’ look at that! I think that I nailed a perfect medium-rare!
Grilled-Beef-Tenderloin-Tails-33.jpg
Medium Rare, possibly leaning toward Rare

Red meat, red wine! I have my meal.
Grilled-Beef-Tenderloin-Tails-34.jpg
Dinner, as they say, is served!

I’m not sure what Mimi is having. Perhaps it is time for this tale of two tails to end.

If you liked this grilled beef tenderloin tails recipe, and would like to see similar grilling recipes with beef, click here.
Also, you can follow the Grillin Fools on their Facebook page where you can post your grilling own pictures, share a grilling recipe or two, or join the general grilling conversation. You can also follow them on Twitter @GrillinFool

Great meat and a great wine! :thumb:

Thank goodness you didn't ruin it with veggies! My kinda meal! :mrgreen:

That's amazing. I drooled all over my keyboard.
Then I called my son in the room to see the pics, and HE drooled all over my keyboard.

Back