THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JONESY

is one Smokin' Farker
I received my Cajun Bandit rotisserie bundle and Rib-O-Lator yesterday, and decided to fire some ribs on it for a good break in. I was very impressed with the quality of both products and couldn't have been happier with their performance.

Heres the ROL and Cajun Bandit ROT ring, installed on my new Performer.
1.jpg

A picture of the ROL
2.jpg

I used the Performer Touch n Go gas to light 12 briquettes.
3.jpg

Set up with coal rack and a drip pan. I put 6 lit briquettes and a chunk of wood on each side(more on this later).
4.jpg

Loaded and ready to go.
5.jpg

Of the cooker and on the plate
6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

The ribs turned out great and if not for the ROL, I think it would have been a disaster of a cook. When I put 6 coals on each side the temp was about 275*, so I threw the ribs on thinking the temps would drop and I could make vent changes to get down to where I wanted to be. Needless to say 3 1/2 hours later I was still fighting temps in excess of 300+ degrees, but the ribs where done and not dry. I think the constant motion of the ROL is the only thing that saved the ribs, I was totally surprised when we dug into them and they where still nice and moist after spending that much time at that high of a heat. I definitely need to work on my start up method of the Performer, any tips would be welcome.

Nice pics, nice toys. Great post!

I wonder if putting those three lit coals in one far end of each basket would have given you better temps?

Holy $#**! I want one of those for my performer! and btw, i know it somewhat defeats one of the key points of the performer, but I just light the coals in my chimney starter. I usually do not bother with the propane igniter. I thought it was neat at first and still is, but i think the chimney is the way to go....just my 2 cents

Great looking pictures. I bet those tasted amazing....

I too could use some help on getting the performer to burn a little cooler. I seem to be stuck around 300 to 350 and can't get it lower.

I think the key with the performer is to keep the vents open about 1/2 inch and try your best not to let the temps go above where you want to keep it. once you hit the temp you want to keep your grill at, close them to about 1/8" and the temps should stay low. In my experience, the top vent has a greater effect for fine tuning the temp that the bottom damper. Also don't overload with coal. 6 in each basket should be fine for low and slow

No foil, no spray,I just let them run. I served them dry as well, with sauce on the side. I was a little nervous when they passed the bend test after 3.5 hours.

Sounds about right considering your temps. I never foil but I do spray.

Doood, those ribs look awesome! The ROL takes the worry out of the kettle!

I do chicken thighs @ 400 on the ROL and can pretty much walk away, knowing that they will turn out perfect.

A tip for ya, have an offset fire that runs parallel with the ROL, just one side, even if the temp runs away on you the offset fire will give you separation from the heat and keep everything cooking evenly.

Load that sucker up with thighs or wings and let me know what time dinner is!

When I used to smoke with my performer...I found that I had to keep the bottom vents barely open..only a sliver..and fine tuned with the top vent from 1/2 open to fully open. I used about a dozen briquets on each side. I could get the temp down to 250-275 range. The biggest problem I had was the briquets would only last about 90 min and the fire was so weak...if I added more briquets they wouldn't light. So I would start a dozen or so in my chimney on my side walk when the temps started to dip.

Doood, those ribs look awesome! The ROL takes the worry out of the kettle!

I do chicken thighs @ 400 on the ROL and can pretty much walk away, knowing that they will turn out perfect.

A tip for ya, have an offset fire that runs parallel with the ROL, just one side, even if the temp runs away on you the offset fire will give you separation from the heat and keep everything cooking evenly.

Load that sucker up with thighs or wings and let me know what time dinner is!

Thanks for the tip, I think that will be my approach next time. When I cook low on my other kettles, I usually bank the coals on one side only. Not sure why I used the baskets????

When I used to smoke with my performer...I found that I had to keep the bottom vents barely open..only a sliver..and fine tuned with the top vent from 1/2 open to fully open. I used about a dozen briquet's on each side. I could get the temp down to 250-275 range. The biggest problem I had was the briquet's would only last about 90 min and the fire was so weak...if I added more briquet's they wouldn't light. So I would start a dozen or so in my chimney on my side walk when the temps started to dip.

Interesting, with two piles of unlit briquettes and 6 lit on each, I had plenty of burn time, it was just too hot.

I wouldn't say it was too hot at all. Look at the fantastic result, and fewer hours spent hovering over the cooker?

I'd say the temp was just right. Don't ever be afraid to cook naked ribs at higher temps. It's simply not true that they'll turn out dry as long as you take them off when they are done. I've had much better results cooking ribs at higher temps than at lower temps.

Why did they turn out so good? You didn't peek, spritz, or mop, just let 'em cook. Can't blame that on the ribolator, although I'd love to have one for wings and stuff.

If you want to prove it to yourself, try doing a rack of ribs hot n fast just on the weber kettle grate with coals banked on one side and ribs on the other for a typical indirect cook. They'll look and taste just like the ones you did on the ribolator. I love the bark on those ribs too, just beautiful.

The only thing I change when cooking on the hot side is to use turbinado sugar in my rub, no brown or white.

Cliff notes: IMO, it's all the tinkering, opening, spritzing, foiling etc that opens the door for a dry result, not higher temps.

Back