ribs and thighs. help me choose among these woods and rubs ?

floydo

Full Fledged Farker
Wood choices:

hickory
pecan
apple
cherry
peach

Rubs available ( Some I use a lot. Some I can't remember why I bought ............Back when I was a very newbie and they were mentioned here ) :

yardbird..............which I use on birds of course.
bovine bold.........I loved on my Butt. :grin:
sweet seduction.............I haven't tried
pork barrel barbecue ...........was great on ribs.
And others rubs I've never used:
Jallelujah's bacon jalapeno
Dizzy Pig's Dizzy Dust, Jamaican Firewalk and Raging River.

Sauces I have:

Pork barrel barbecue
blues hog
blues hog Tennessee red
Bone suckin' sauce
SBR
Gates
Sadly I'm out of head country...........which I love over yardbird..........on
birds of course.

If you not totally put off by this exercise, let me know what combo you'd go with...................or maybe at least how you use one of the above.

I'll put the ribs on early afternoon ....and take them off when the chicken goes on.........finishing them off in the oven.

Thinking of hickory and peach for the ribs.

My go to wood is apple. I use it because I get it for free from the orchard nearby. I use Chris Lilley's rub for pork, I like yard bird for chicken. I just got some BBQ guru BBQ Bob's Hav n' BBQ sauce that I like.

I like pecan with almost any thing and then would use cherry and apple with it
Definately would use yardbird on both and maybe sweet seduction also with the thighs and and pork barrel bbq on the ribs
I would use blue hog on the ribs and leave the thighs alone

Wood: Cherry if I've gotta pick one but any of them, gotta great selection right there. I love the smell of cherry wood.

Rub: Yardbird on the chicken, Sweet Seduction on the ribs.

Sauce: My favorite is half Blues Hog Original and half BH Tennessee Red.

I did some breasts Friday night and tried something different (for me)- I did a very heavy dusting of magic dust (mike mills recipe) with hickory and sweet baby rays- lots of heat balanced out the sweet. I liked this combo a lot.

Saturday was pork butt on a mix of apple/pecan with the Chris Lilly rub. That is my go to for pork.

I use yardbird on everything.. i just love it. Plus i had spending money on rubs without knowing if they will suck. so i tend to stick with what works..
Although last week i tried harry soo's slap yo daddy on some chicken wings.. pretty nice..

And i prefer Pecan. Mild smoke.

Back