THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GammaRei

Full Fledged Farker
Wanted to do a ribeye for a while but it never goes on sale. Alas today, I was able to get a custom cut ribeye for $6.99/lb. . . A friend recently gave me some of Franklin Bbq steak rub so I decided to give it a shot.

Seasoning (I only made one I froze the other ribeye).

Placed in the oven at 225 for 3 hours, I love doing steaks of this size in the reverse sear method.

Getting the Weber ready.

Sear, Sear, Sear~!!!

Time to rest.

Sliced and ready to serve.

Let me know if yall have any ideas, or if I should do something different (minus sous vide, I hate sous vide).

- Gamma

I like the looks of that steak! I like Kinders seasoning also, but have lately been using the butter rub and that wakes a steak up for me. You asked if you should do anything different, my only suggestion is to move closer and let me know when you do the other one:thumb:

Glorious!! You have me salivating here!

I love a good ribeye but never see it around here or on sale. So tell me this, those of you who know your cuts. We have prime rib on sale around here pretty often for decent prices. Is the ribeye just the part of the prime rib closest to the bone or is it from a different part of the rib section? Can I just trim it out of a prime rib or rib steak and save the outer bits for whatever?

Glorious!! You have me salivating here!

I love a good ribeye but never see it around here or on sale. So tell me this, those of you who know your cuts. We have prime rib on sale around here pretty often for decent prices. Is the ribeye just the part of the prime rib closest to the bone or is it from a different part of the rib section? Can I just trim it out of a prime rib or rib steak and save the outer bits for whatever?

Yes, the prime rib and ribeye are the same thing. Last year, I bought 3 prime rib roasts about this time when they were on sale (far less than they are this year), and cut them into steaks. If you get the bone-in, you just have a bonus snack. Usually, the bones are separated and tied back on for the roast method, but can be easily removed if they are still connected.
You may encounter a "first cut" roast or something similar, but they are all from the ribeye section.

Back