Rib Pron: Harry Soo's Slap Yo Daddy Ribs

what is the bend test and should the tooth pick slide in and out with ease or with some resistence?

Bend test is when you grab one end of the slab with a pair of tongs, and they should flop over at a 90 degree angle. Tootpick should slide in between the bones with little resistance, like a sticking it in a warm slab of butter.

is this the rub you used:

4 tbsp Kosher Salt
2 tbsp White Granulated Sugar
2 tbsp Brown Sugar
2 tbsp California Mild Chili Powder
2 tbsp Paprika
1 tbsp Ground Cumin
1 tbsp Granulated Garlic
1 tbsp Black Pepper
1/2 TSP Cayenne Pepper (use sparingly or not at all)

EDIT: i cant read.. i totally missed it in youer first post. sorry.

Ok, here is a question for yeah. how many lit coals did you use to light the RO lump? I have found that a full chimney might be way to many for my UDS.. haha

Ok, here is a question for yeah. how many lit coals did you use to light the RO lump? I have found that a full chimney might be way to many for my UDS.. haha

I usually use around 18, the pic of the charcoal basket in the post shows the lit briquettes on top.

Those look really good I'd hit them for sure,
I like Harry Soo's method too and have used his exact recipe and tried tweaking it a little, I usually use agave nectar (light) instead of honey but my last time out I ran out so half were honey and half agave nectar and the ones with the honey did seem a bit sweeter. Also I had read somewhere in one of Harry's blogs iirc on the virtual weber bullet he said to let them go for the first 2 hours no spritzing idk if that would affect the sweetness as well.

I want the tomato and green bean recipe!

Tomato Green Bean Cassesrole
Adapted from "Sugar Bust for Life" (I made it thicker and use more cheese in this recipe than the original)

1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup stone ground whole wheat flour or regular all purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp paprika
1 1/2 cups low fat or skim milk
1 cup grated sharp cheese
2 14oz cans cut green beans, drained
3-4 sliced tomatoes
salt and pepper to taste

In a sauce pan, melt the butter, then stir or whisk in the flour. Mix in the salt, pepper, mustard and paprika. Stir in the milk until it boils for a few minutes and thickens, stirring often. Turn off heat and add the cheese and stir to mix and melt. Mix in the green beans and put into a 2 quart casserole dish. Arrange tomato slices over the top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake, uncovered, in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

The St. Louis cut were $2.89 a pound, which puts them into the BB range. I knew I would be cooking these on Falcon Sunday, so I just didn't want to deal with the trimmings when I could be watching football. These still had the skirt though, plus I trimmed the smallests ribs from each rack, so even though they were pre-cut I had some trimmings I could have smoked along with the ribs.

I can't remember how much the spares are at RD, I think they are around $1.99 a pound, so you do get much more bang for the buck by trimming spares. I was just lazy today. :-D
Twenty bucks for 3 racks still isn't horrible though IMO.

I buy the st louis by the case st rd and it puts it in the 2.49 range or so. I use for contest so it is worth it to me. Only issue I have had is a bone in the middle of the bone going horizontal. So imagine looking at the rack and under the meat through the middle is a bone you don't know about till you cut the rack.

Thought I'd give Harry Soo's rib recipe from his web site a try, found here: http://slapyodaddybbq.com/Recipes.html.
I'm pretty much following it to the letter except for the foil time. 90 minutes in foil is just too long for my tastes, so I'm going to shorten the foil time to 60 minutes. Here is his all purpose rub recipe, which I have doubled:
1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup each of white sugar, brown sugar, paprika and chili powder. 2 TBSP each of cumin, granulated garlic and black pepper, 1 tsp of cayenne.

Trying the pre-cut St.Louis ribs from RD instead of trimming the spares myself. First time using these, I usually buy the spares at Costco.
IMG_0008.jpg

WSM fuel: RO lump, 2 chunks of hickory and 2 chunks of cherry.
IMG_0010.jpg

My fuel: Victory Storm King Imperial Stout. Great beer, has a nice hop balance to the overwhelming amount of malt. Served up in my Falcon victory glass; we squeezed out a close one today.
IMG_0016.jpg

Per his recipe, I removed membrane, added rub and let sit in the fridge for an hour before putting them on the smoker. Shooting for a smoker temp of 275 for the entire cook. Spritzing every 30 minutes with apple juice.
IMG_0026.jpg

After two hours, applied a layer of brown sugar and drizzled honey on each side. Added 1/4 cup apple juice, wrapped, and then back in the smoker (bone side up) for an hour.
IMG_0040.jpg

Unwrapped and back on the smoker till done. Total time was about 4 hours, but that includes wrapping and unwrapping.
IMG_0051.jpg

Once they passed the bend and toothpick test, sauced and back on for a quick 10 minutes. Sauce is a mixture of Blue's Hog original and red, plus a little of the imperial stout.
IMG_0057.jpg

All done.
IMG_0072.jpg

Served up with some green bean and tomato casserole.
IMG_0090.jpg

Final verdict: I thought they were pretty darn good, just a tad on the sweet side. The sweetness was probably more a result of the Blue's Hog, as I didn't cut it with as much red as I usually do. I was also afraid of the amount of cumin in the rub, but although the rub had a strong cumin smell, it mellowed a bunch during the cook. I'd also use granulated brown sugar next time, as it was hard to get an even layer using regular brown sugar. I'd give the ribs an 8 out of 10. Had a lot of fun cooking them though!
They look yummy.:thumb:

Thought I'd give Harry Soo's rib recipe from his web site a try, found here: http://slapyodaddybbq.com/Recipes.html.
I'm pretty much following it to the letter except for the foil time. 90 minutes in foil is just too long for my tastes, so I'm going to shorten the foil time to 60 minutes. Here is his all purpose rub recipe, which I have doubled:
1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup each of white sugar, brown sugar, paprika and chili powder. 2 TBSP each of cumin, granulated garlic and black pepper, 1 tsp of cayenne.

Trying the pre-cut St.Louis ribs from RD instead of trimming the spares myself. First time using these, I usually buy the spares at Costco.

IMG_0008.jpg

WSM fuel: RO lump, 2 chunks of hickory and 2 chunks of cherry.
IMG_0010.jpg

My fuel: Victory Storm King Imperial Stout. Great beer, has a nice hop balance to the overwhelming amount of malt. Served up in my Falcon victory glass; we squeezed out a close one today.
IMG_0016.jpg

Per his recipe, I removed membrane, added rub and let sit in the fridge for an hour before putting them on the smoker. Shooting for a smoker temp of 275 for the entire cook. Spritzing every 30 minutes with apple juice.
IMG_0026.jpg

After two hours, applied a layer of brown sugar and drizzled honey on each side. Added 1/4 cup apple juice, wrapped, and then back in the smoker (bone side up) for an hour.
IMG_0040.jpg

Unwrapped and back on the smoker till done. Total time was about 4 hours, but that includes wrapping and unwrapping.
IMG_0051.jpg

Once they passed the bend and toothpick test, sauced and back on for a quick 10 minutes. Sauce is a mixture of Blue's Hog original and red, plus a little of the imperial stout.
IMG_0057.jpg

All done.
IMG_0072.jpg

Served up with some green bean and tomato casserole.
IMG_0090.jpg

Final verdict: I thought they were pretty darn good, just a tad on the sweet side. The sweetness was probably more a result of the Blue's Hog, as I didn't cut it with as much red as I usually do. I was also afraid of the amount of cumin in the rub, but although the rub had a strong cumin smell, it mellowed a bunch during the cook. I'd also use granulated brown sugar next time, as it was hard to get an even layer using regular brown sugar. I'd give the ribs an 8 out of 10. Had a lot of fun cooking them though!

I know this is old, but I've always done baby backs and the time or two I've tried spares were not very good.

Harry must have changed his recipe or taken it down because the link is no longer valid.

I'm doing these this weeked and cannot wait to see the results.

Thank you Saiko for the fantastic tutorial and Go FALCONS in 2012.

Steevie - you might also want to check out Harry's interview on the virtual weber bullet forum. He discusses many of his techniques there. Let us know how your ribs turnout, I've been wanting to try his recipe as well and am curious as to the results.

Back