Rib appearance score, please

...I would gobble them up though. Were they tasty?
Yes, they were. In fact, I think they were the best ribs I've ever cooked, based on taste and tenderness. Ain't that how it always goes? You cook comfortably at home and everything clicks. Then you go to a comp and something else happens.

Thanks for the input,
John

well just got out of judging school yesterday, and can tell you that there is to muck sauce on the ribs. i must ask though, are all the ribs cut cleanly through so that they aren't stuck together cause is sure doesn't look like it but all around i will give it a 6:p:p

What part of the CBJ class made you think there is too much sauce on the ribs? The only rule about quantities of sauce is no puddling of sauce in the box. You can't tell that from this picture. While I don't disagree that thick amounts of sauce is a detriment to the meat and being able to taste it, it is not illegal or wrong. I hope you got more out of the class that will be of benefit to you.

I too would give it a 7, but I also think that it has real potential to move up with some cleanup...

What part of the CBJ class made you think there is too much sauce on the ribs? The only rule about quantities of sauce is no puddling of sauce in the box. You can't tell that from this picture. While I don't disagree that thick amounts of sauce is a detriment to the meat and being able to taste it, it is not illegal or wrong. I hope you got more out of the class that will be of benefit to you.
First let me say that the picture is not a great help and the reflection of light does make it appear that the ribs were over sauced.

Jeff, I actually agree that there is to much sauce and that would cause me to knock down the score a bit... While there is no 'rule' that states what is to much (other than pooling), this is appearance and a bunch of sauce on ribs does not "make me want to grab one" and therefore I would need to score it down a bit...

I truly and honestly cannot believe the scores you're getting from some of these posters.

They look delicious!

Back