THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S

schellter

Usually I clean my Thermapen and put it away but recently my wife dunked it. Now when I turn it on the temp dance from negative numbers to real big numbers. Is there any way to fix this or do I have to buy a new wife-proof (splash proof) Thermapen?

I had one with a short. Sent it back and had it repaired. Don't remember what it cost but it was a whole lot cheaper than a new one.

Do what they do with cell phones when they get wet, bury it in a container of rice to wick all the moisture out. Then I would hit it with some DeoxIT, that will clean the contacts. If nothing works, send it in....they "may" warranty it for you if you are nice :wink:

I left one outside for a week and it was all foggy inside. At first the temps were WAY off with crazy numbers. Then the display faded and was gone. A few weeks later it was back up and running again. Unfortunately, I had already purchased a replacement.

I forgot mine outside once and it got rained on. Crazy erratic numbers were jumping all over the place. Did the rice thing and sure enough, about 3 days later it straightened out. Hope yours works itself out.

Mine did the same thing as you described, though I never got mine wet. I called Thermoworks, and a tech person had me press on the LCD display with the probe in the open position and it started reading normal. It did it one other time after that, I pressed on the display and it cleared up. Been normal for over 2 years.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, I will put it in a baggie with some rice.

Thanks again,
Larry

I forgot to bring my Thermopen inside one night. It subsequently rained later in the night. Next morning it no longer worked properly - the screen was fogged up and went whako when I turned it on. I put it in the drawer and figured I would have to buy a new one. Next time I turned it on, it was good as new.

I know I'm late to the party here but just wanted to chime in, Larry, that if the rice trick doesn't do it for you, do give a shout out to [email protected]. Even if its past warranty, we can almost always fix it for less than the cost of buying even a cheap thermometer replacement.

Cheers,
Tim

Back