Reviewing Salty Sailor Rub by Todd's Dirt

frognot

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Charles
Received some Salty Sailor rub yesterday from Todd, aka "The Dirt Man" and he asked me to review it. Decided to try an assortment of beef, pork and chicken to test Todd's "Texas style All-Purpose Rub".

Fired up the Egg to around 325 using Royal Oak Lump and a chunk of pecan wood. Marinated some boneless, skinless chicken thighs in Italian dressing then applied the rub before grilling.
Made some ABTs using leftover pulled pork (sprinkled with a li'l rub) and cream cheese then wrapped the peppers in bacon that was then sprinkled with Salty Sailor. There's always room on the grill for a fatty so rubbed some Owens breakfast sausage and placed it in the back.

After the chicken, fatty and ABTs were done cranked up the heat and placed a T-Bone that had a liberal application of rub. Didn't take long to reach (then pass) medium rare.

Took some quick pics and dug in. Mrs frognot had already tried the chicken and said it was "not too spicy and she liked the balance of flavors." She also stated that it was definitely different than other rubs that I've used before (and she's tried a whole lot since I've joined this group). She had foolishly filled up on veggies and only had room for a bite of steak. She said would try the fatty in the AM and she doesn't do ABTS.

In the interest of a fair review my palate was not contaminated with any veggies.

I liked the flavor of the chicken and want to try it on wings next time. However, not a fan of boneless chicken but my womenfolk do so glad to find a rub that's "not too spicy" so it's a good compromise for two folks on opposite ends of the heat spectrum.

Salty Sailor worked well on the steak and thinking that on tri-tip it would be even better.

Pork is where I was really impressed. The flavor really popped on the bacon on the ABTs and it was quite tasty on the fatty. Definitely want to try it on some pork chops and a pork butt. Y'know, pig candy might be my next thing to make.

Have been a fan of Todd's rubs (Original, Cajun and Crabby) for quite a while so am not surprised that I liked Salty Sailor.

Thanks again Todd! Ya got another winner.

Attachments

• kCTw3F3.jpg
    kCTw3F3.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 228
  • nX9QIwI.jpg
    nX9QIwI.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 229
  • LkbwAD2.jpg
    LkbwAD2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 228
Good review and the food looks great. I get the Old Salt reference from the label but I gather it’s not too salty, correct?

Gordon, I did not find it too salty at all.

The label says 180 mg in a 1/4 tsp serving.

Frognot,
I am glad you like the new rub. I call it a Texas Style BBQ rub on Steroids. Wait till you try on pork and Beef ribs and on a brisket.
Todd

Thanks for the reportage!

Looking forward to checking this stuff out as I like the other Dirt products - great stuff!

Just so everyone knows. This product is not out yet. The bottle shown was a prototype. The Rub will be ready for sale at the end of the month to early March. It will have a white top.

Back