Restaurant Depot - Maiden Voyage...

PBrug

Full Fledged Farker
Shortly before signing up here, I got a membership with KCBS. I did so for a few reasons, but one perk I was looking forward to was the ability to go to RD in Pittsburgh, about 30 minutes from me. Finding full packer briskets in Western PA can be difficult at times, and their prices on other meats are great as well.

For about a week I checked the mail, like Ralphie awaiting his decoder ring, waiting for my KCBS member ship card. It arrived yesterday, so I made a quick call to RD to make sure the location accepted the card. The young lady told me I was good to go, so I made the drive down today. Unlike Ralphie, I was not disappointed with my "prize". Wow the place is a little overwhelming. I had about two hours to spend there, which I did in full, and still felt like I rushed a little. Because I was mainly looking to score a brisket, I went to the meat department last, so I wouldn't be walking around the store with my brisket the entire time. By the time I got there, I was running short on time. They only had 4 Angus briskets out, but I asked and a worker weighed out 2 more cases and put them out. Found 13.57lb brisket to my liking, and at $2.82/lb I was happy. I'll take a better look at more meats next time around, as there's a lot to look over.

I also picked up some butcher paper, 18" X 1000' for $20.31, some pizza supplies, as I enjoy making form scratch at home, and a few odds and ends

Lastly I snagged a bag of Laredo Lump, 20lb for $10.10. I have never used it, but figured I'd give it a try. Not sure anyone has any experienced with this brand?

I'm already looking forward to my next trip...

A few pics from the day...

Attachments

• RD1.jpg
    RD1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 199
  • RD-BR1.jpg
    RD-BR1.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 200
  • RD-BR2.jpg
    RD-BR2.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 198
  • RD-BP.jpg
    RD-BP.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 200
  • RD-CR1.jpg
    RD-CR1.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 199
  • RD-CR3.jpg
    RD-CR3.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 198
  • RD-ALL2.jpg
    RD-ALL2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 198
Glad you enjoyed your trip to RD. If I recall correctly you could have printed out your membership and been almost instantly gratified. Good to see another Pittsburgher here, our numbers are growing.

Not sure if this place saves me money or coats me money...but I love it!

I went today.

So is the KCBS card good for more than one visit? On the website says it is good for a day pass and I want to make sure I understand correctly. Thanks

So is the KCBS card good for more than one visit? On the website says it is good for a day pass and I want to make sure I understand correctly. Thanks

My understanding, at the Pittsburgh location anyways, is you can go whenever you want, just need to show your KCBS card. At this location, they wrote me a pass on paper, I showed it to the cashier, and she kept it when I checked out. Just need to get one each trip...

It's seems it may be different per location, as I know some have said they got an actual RD card when showing the KCBS card. Even at the Burgh location, it seemed the workers were not sure on the policy. The worker at the card desk told me I'd have to pay with cash or debt, but at the register I paid with credit. Did pay tax on taxable items.

Looks a lot like my trip. On your next trip, you will probably grab a 24 inch roll of butcher paper. It makes things easier.

Back