Report on my Brined Turkey

mchar69

Quintessential Chatty Farker
1st time brining a Turkey, I have brined exactly ONE chicken in my life.
I used the Reynolds Turkey Oven Bag to hold the brine in and placed it in my large roasting pan in the fridge. A bucket would be better.

I overshot the temps, and the breast actually hit low 180's and I thought "That's what gravy is for", but the meat was really juicy upon first slicing and eating that I will do this every time. ALL the people said it was juicy.

I did NOT salt the outside before roasting, just Black Pepper.
I only brined for 18 hours not 2 days as the recipe says.

I only had about an hour after a serious rinse for the skin to stiffen and dry. As a result, the final skin looked great and was crisp, but was a non-factor. Let the skin dry in the fridge for 2-5 hours I guess.

Sliced meat seemed to dry on the platter, not sure if any faster than unbrined.
Pulled the 21 pounder at 1:20 and let it relax for 20 minutes, then covered my roasting pan with the lid, and then put a towel around it for transport.
It was still too hot to handle carving at 3pm.
I used BobC Q's recommendation in carving - THANKS! A winner.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266834

The brine recipe - https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/8...ingContentType=Recipe Hub&clickId=cardslot 80

All in all I say to Brine. And ZERO pics, I was swamped from 8:50 to 1:37 nonstop, then I took a shower, loaded up the car and went to our friends' house.Well after dinner she said "we didn't get any pictures" :)
Typical.

I use this to brine in. Make your brine a bit stronger to allow for the addition of ice and you don't need to use any fridge space. It costs about $22.

View attachment 165721

Last edited:
I buy the Large and Extra large ziploc storage bags from the Dollar Store. Brine and bird go in the smaller of the two and then into the larger bag for refrigeration. I've never had a leak and it saves a ton of room. It also keeps the bird fully submerged as you can squeeze the air out of the bags.

Briner buckets are awesome I have one for chicken and one for turkeys

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't have fridge space and a 5-gal. won't fit in my Igloo cooler.
My roasting pan is huge and it worked out.
Next time is a chicken with the same recipe and that will be easier.

Back