Regional Difficulty Level

Seems to me that the closer you get to Iowa, The harder it is to win!

Worthington, MN last year, only 18 teams. But 4 of the 18 teams qualified for the Jack, and 3 of them finished in the top ten (Spitfire, Tippeycanoe, Shiggin' n' Grinnin'). That's a tough little comp :)

I watch all regions and contests, like to who does well and where.

You should all come up to Michigan because the judges are super easy. :wink:

Yeah, let teams think that... I think the Traverse City Sam's contest last year was probably the lowest local contest in the series. I know... I finished 8th and had no shot at all to advance....

I probably travel to different regions more than most folks. And Podge is right, there aren't any easy regions. Folks get too wrapped up with 'big boys'. There are a lot of bad asses that don't leave their regions for whatever reason and folks outside of that region will never have heard of these teams. Now is scoring different? Yes in a big way. Higher scores come out of the Kansas region. Why? Probably because of more experienced judges. But the major thing that folks need to remember. Good BBQ is good BBQ no matter what region you are cooking.

Scottie nailed it. No matter where you go, you will run into competition these days. Teams like Burnin' Bobs Butts 'n' Bones, Smoke N the Rockies, SmokeRing.com, Rib It, Q Pig, Sweet Peppers, O.O.P.S., etc. all are teams that will sneak up on you out here in the Rockies. A lot of eastern teams come out and see that we actually do have some good BBQ teams out here :) Plus, there are teams that have less than 2-4 years experience that have taken classes and are winning. Rib-It, 2 Lil Macs, Flyboy BBQ, Biggins BBQ, PeacePit BBQ, GQue... it's never a cake walk at any comp.

Come out here, we'll treat you right! :) The RMBBQA 11:00 a.m. shot is worth it alone :) http://rmbbqa.org/whatwedo.php

Kev

Yeah, let teams think that... I think the Traverse City Sam's contest last year was probably the lowest local contest in the series. I know... I finished 8th and had no shot at all to advance....

At least you didn't tie for 7th, and lose the tie breaker on brisket:doh:

How many different kinds of BBQ are there? I think all regions bring something to the table. It really depends of the type of BBQ that is common in that area.

Back