THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MS2SB

is Blowin Smoke!
I know many brethren are always on the lookout for things to do with leftover chicken. I thought I'd share a recipe for chicken salad that I make with my leftovers. It's a Greek/Mediterranean style chicken salad with a tzatsiki style dressing as the base. It works well with either white or dark meat, though we usually have breast meat leftover at my house.

1/2 C greek yogurt or sour cream
2-3 T Mayo
Juice of one lemon
A couple sprigs of fresh dill minced
1/2 cucumber peeled, seeded and finely diced
2 green onions finely sliced
1 stalk celery fine dice
2-3 radishes diced
1/4 C chopped cashews or pistachios
Leftover chicken cubed (about 1LB)

Combine yogurt, lemon juice and dill and mix thoroughly, this will give you a loose dressing, if it's too thin for your liking add a little more mayo to thicken it up. I also will add a pinch or two of salt and a few grinds of black pepper here.

Add the vegetables and stir again. Sometimes I will add some chopped capers at this point as well. If you don't like radishes, feel free to leave them out or substitute with another crunchy vegetable like carrot.

Dice your chicken into bite sized pieces and toss with other ingredients.

At this point it's ready to serve, however I highly recommend letting it sit refrigerated for a few hours or overnight if you can, this will give the flavors a chance to mingle and get to know one another.

Serve on crackers a sandwich or over some lettuce leaves as a salad, or enjoy straight from the bowl.

Mrs ~t~ makes a similar salad with leftover chicken, but everything is sort of layered and one of the layers is hummus. So there is a layer of chicken, tzatsiki, tomato, lettuce, humus and some cheese crumbles top it off. She packs these stacked salads in individual sized plastic containers.

Back