Recipe: Smoked Macaroni & Cheese w/Bacon

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
John
Brisket_0120.JPG

Here's a recipe that I have been working on for a couple tries, and I finally got it where I like it on the third attempt...

Smoked Mac & Cheese w/Bacon

1 16oz box of LARGE Elbow Macaroni
2 cans of Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup
1 cup Milk
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
2 cups shredded Cheddar (I used sharp)
4 to 6 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled

Cook the macaroni with instructions provided on the box and then drain it in a colander. Return to the pot and add the Campbell's cheddar cheese soup. Add the milk, parmesan cheese and bacon to the pot and mix thoroughly. Dump the contents into a casserole dish and spread 2 cups (or more if desired) of shredded cheddar cheese on top. Place the casserole dish in a smoker and smoke at 225-250° for 1 hour. (I smoked with Hickory)

This recipe is a variation of this one that I found on Youtube:

http://youtu.be/Yo06w_n8-CU

The variations I made were changing to large macaroni noodles and adding an extra can of the cheddar cheese soup to keep it creamy with the larger noodles. I also added the parmesan and the bacon for a serious flavor kick. If you decide to make this with the regular smaller macaroni noodles, only use a single can of the cheddar cheese soup.

The photo above is a doubled up version of this recipe.

The cheese picks up the smoke flavor very well... I was surprised at how well that happened after only leaving it on the smoker for an hour...

Love Bonamassa! Check out Bettye LaVette "The Scene of the Crime" CD.
I listen to JB all the time... Gonna try this recipe!

Looks good to me! I need to take another shot at this. The only time I tried it the stuff was waaaaaaay too smoky!

How does it taste? I love homemade Mac n cheese but I've never had cheddar cheese soup before. The idea of cheddar cheese soup doesnt sit well with me for some reason.

How does it taste? I love homemade Mac n cheese but I've never had cheddar cheese soup before. The idea of cheddar cheese soup doesnt sit well with me for some reason.

I thought it tasted great... You could use velveeta instead if you wanted to... Or you could layer it and use sliced cheese like any other traditional baked mac & cheese...

Well it was definitely smokey.. I also used 4 cups of cheese and because this is Wisconsin, I threw a few fresh squeaky cheese curds in for good measure!!!

I don't know i would make it for us again smoked but I would make it for a gathering of people.

Well it was definitely smokey.. I also used 4 cups of cheese and because this is Wisconsin, I threw a few fresh squeaky cheese curds in for good measure!!!

I don't know i would make it for us again smoked but I would make it for a gathering of people.

I cooked mine with a brisket also... I did not add any wood chunks to the wsm when I put it on and it still has a nice smokey flavor. If you think it's over smoked, you can cover it with foil half way into the cook too...

Back