Rate my final practice cook.-Please!

Just for comparison sake only, and so that you can see the difference, let's compare your turn in box to one of mine....we'll use brisket.
Give it another try brother! You can do this, If I can, You can!

Attachments

• DSC05941%20%28Small%29.JPG
    DSC05941%20%28Small%29.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC00014A.jpg
    DSC00014A.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 98
Mr Kick, that is a fine lookin box o' brisket. When you prepped those slices, it looks like you trimmed them so they were all the same length, is that the case?

BBQNEO, Solidkick gave you an excellent reference here. Just do not allow garnish to hang over the sides of the container. While garnish is not to be "judged" I personally feel it definitely adds to the attractiveness of the presentation when done neatly, correctly! (No, I would not judge on it, however!) PORK: You need larger slices, arrange it neatly (don't just toss it in), and I think sauce gives a better appearance (personal opinion).
CHICKEN: Looks like it has been dipped in bread crumbs and I would have no desire to eat it whatsoever. Need thigh size to enable you to arrange three pieces in a row, two rows; total 6.
RIBS: REPEAT...you must have clean, smoothe cut slices. Assure it is not overcooked, of course. Get rid of that "ripped apart look". Arrange the bottom side of the ribs on the bottom of container and arrange neatly in a row.
BRISKET: Slice pencil thick and have clean cut looking slices. (This looks like a train wreck). Arrange attractively, use your choice of spritz to help make them shine.
IMO I really think all of your meats would be more attractive if you brushed on some sauce, too. Somehow, this just really makes it stand out. I think you have a lot of great feedback here and I wish you the best when you compete!!!!! Keep us posted. This is all constructive criticism in hopes it helps you become a winner!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been reading through this thread - and one hint I can give you is to pin the skin of your chicken down using wooden toothpicks before you cook them. The toothpicks will keep the skin stretched out over the entire piece while it cooks. Then, when you're ready to go to the box, just be sure to gently remove each one - and don't leave any behind! :-D

Mr Kick, that is a fine lookin box o' brisket. When you prepped those slices, it looks like you trimmed them so they were all the same length, is that the case?

Yes I did, and I wasn't real happy with the results, as you can see I tried to cover it up with chopped down the sides...didn't get it past them.....:oops:
This placed 8th.......

This is a pic of a first place pork box we did:

295675416_6cfc59e530.jpg

And this was a 2nd place brisket in an IBCA contest with no garnish

220431316_d7182a22f6.jpg

Hope it helps!

Neo, maybe try slicing your ribs with a serrated knife. It works for me if I have something that is too tender to cut with a sharp knife. Look me up at Westmont. It's my hometown and I will be there nice and early to prepare... :wink:

Scottie

Noe, I would jump at the chance to Look up Scottie at westmont. How often will you get a chance to see the reigning Jack daniels champ work his magic.

I've always done no sauce on brisket. But recently, I got some advice that will make me change that...

People like sauce. Whether you do or not, people like it. Judges are people. Judges often like sauce. While a not-sauced entry may do fine. I've not heard a judge complain that an entry had sauce on it, but I have heard them say they would have liked sauce on an unsauced entry.

So I'm going to sauce my turn ins from now on and see what happens!

I would agree with the previuos post about sticking with the one cut
in a box

boy you guys work quick... my post about previuos post got bumped to next page

Getting better????

Thank all of you for your advice. I would like to know if on the brisket people cut the slices to get uniform pieces?? If not how do you do it??
Second, here is the latest edition of chicken-no garnish but I will in comp- Am I getting the idea????(note the blackish crust is the rub everyone loves)

Attachments

• DSC05969 (Small).JPG
    DSC05969 (Small).JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC05970 (Small).JPG
    DSC05970 (Small).JPG
    61.9 KB · Views: 60
Definitely better, but it would look neater if all of the thighs were the same size. It takes some careful selection but you should be able to find six that are the same size.

Keep in mind that you're allowed to cut the thighs to make them more uniform in size; you don't have to just put in what get.

And they still look dry.

The thighs look pretty good! Don't be afraid to trim them so that each one is the same size and shape as the rest. There should be NO ragged edges or pieces sticking out here and there. You may want to trim the bone ends to make them more uniform. Last, glaze them with hot BBQ sauce mixed with some fruit jelly, maple syrup or other sweetner.

I've tried to attach a photo of my contest thighs. I hope I did it correctly.

Attachments

• Chicken.jpg
    Chicken.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 33
Looks good, you may try and trim them a little more evenly before you rub them. But otherwise they look great.

Back