THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm thinking 7 on that box. pretty darn close to average.
An "Excellent" box IMHO has:
1. Full of meat/ribs. I like something to choose from - unless they are big spares, 6 ribs many times dont really fill the box.
2. Even or justified white space(ribs not thrown in) or nicely applied garnish. If garnish is there, it can't detract from the ribs.
3. contiguous ribs. -- you have one longer on the end that is next to something shorter... makes it appear like you had to take ribs from different slabs to get a full box - an 8 or 9 has ribs that are uniform, and look like part of a slab, not individual ribs just abitrarily in the box. (All the others look uniform for this box, maybe move that one to the other end for uniformity.)
4. Ribs that dont look dry -- they dont have to be sauced/glazed, but at least moist looking - make sense? <apple juice spritz mod>

I'm sorry but I think a 5 or even a 6 is a little harsh. I'd be shaking my head if I got a 5 on that box. Why are you scoring down so much?

Yeah, that one rib is a little dark, and the edge of the same one is a little ragged, but they look good enough to want to eat them right quick.

Yeah, the lettuce is a little messy, which takes away slightly from the overall presentation, but romaine is still LEGAL. I do agree with 'up the sides of the box'.

I try to score the MEAT.

You answered the question. It's an average looking box, its a 6 to me. It is not above average. It must be above average looking to you.

Here is my turn in box for my ribs this weekend. What would you score this box. What would you change. Thanks for the help.
I agree with a 6. Ribs look good not great. From what I see you could have arranged the ribs so they didn't cramped inside a large box of greens. Try to make the garnish unnoticable. It should be background and not a focal point of the box. I probably would have hidden the dark end of that one rib under one of the others. I liked the overall color and spice look but it just didn't jump out at ya. I'm glad your hooked, now we got one more person to drink beer with !!!!!!

I know that this is an old thread but I am just getting around to checking out boxes. I am just in the beginnings of competition but have been "Q"ing for years (mainly chicken and whole hogs, I have lived in NC for the past 12 years). Entered mym first competition a month or so ago. I came in 3rd (unfortunately it was out of 3) I dont think that the judges appreciated my NC sauce. Also I didnt smoke and used leg quarters not just thighs. Needless to say I learned alot that weekend. I too am hooked and have a new competition in August (40 competitors should be a better idea of where I am). This competition is a backyard one as was the first. The category is ribs which I will have to admit I am very lacking in experience. I have been practicing and feel like my rub is well up to par and today my sauce was a hit. One of the most difficult things is cutting the ribs while they are hot. And the ribs I got today had one end that was much thicker and made the presentation and taste diffrent.

I'm a CBJ and I'd give it an 8. The meat looks good except that rib on the upper left -- it's noticeably much darker on the facing end. It's hard to get the colors and textures consistent but you always do better when you do.

Also, I've never seen anyone use romaine. You don't get judged on garnish but on the other hand it's not really enhancing your presentation.

Truth be known garnish has made the winning score more than you will know. As they say you eat with your eyes. So spend lots of time on the garnish even if you hate it.
Dave

What would you score this box. What would you change. Thanks for the help.

Looking at it today...Two 1/2 years later and 20 more contests as a CBJ...

I would give it a 7. I know subjective comments when viewing a picture of a box make it difficult to capture the live look.

Some of this is nit-picking, but since you asked...They look dry, maybe they are a dry rub only rib, if so, might have been an 8 at the table.

Here is the nit picking, I would turn the top bones around so the kuncle is not showing. I also like a putting green, but we are not supposed to look at the greens are we?

Your color is kicking!

There's my 10 seconds worth...

Back