THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey all,
Got this message from the makers of Rancher in my e-mail today. Thought I'd share:
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]The Original Charcoal Company[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
July 27, 2008[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Dear RANCHER charcoal supporters![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Thank you for the fantastic interest and support that you have all shown![/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Tremendous Success at Home Depot !!! [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Thanks to your support, The Original Charcoal Company's RANCHER charcoal took 15% of the competitor's sales! Further, approximately a 1/4 of a million units sold during the five day Memorial Day weekend! Truly phenominal results. Thank you.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]All-natural RANCHER briquette is still available in pockets of the country. If you are out in your local Home Depot, please ask your store manager to locate available RANCHER briquette in the other HD stores, and have the manager ship it to your local store. I have made this request on other items, and am almost always satisfied. You will be helping out HD as well, as this will make room for them to put in another item in our spot. OUR SKU #:990-347.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]INTERESTINGLY, despite this success, HD is hesitating to put the all-natural RANCHER in their regular line-up. Your continued support may get them off the fence. PLEASE send a note to HD through their website at www.homedepot.com. At the bottom of the Home pasge is "contacts". Tell them that you want this product. AND ask you friends to to the same.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]-15% of competitor's sales[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]-250,000 units purchased in five days[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]-Talk to your store manager for product in other stores[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]- Write to HD and demand the RANCHER hardwood briquette [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]-Spread the word[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]We are thrilled at your great response, and that we can provide such a fantastic product to you. PLEASE HELP US TO CONTINUE TO DO SO. WRITE TO HOME DEPOT.[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Thank you for your continued loyal and thoughtful support! We will keep you updated on YOUR success at Home Depot and elsewhere.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Enjoy the day,[/FONT]

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Eric Krause[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]The Original Charcoal Company [/FONT]
[/FONT]

Score in Orange!!!

Just got home with 200lbs of black, lumpy goodness for $30!!!

Home Depot on Katella in Orange has 3 pallets of Rancher. It's NOT with the rest of the charcoal and BBQ stuff. It's right in front of the (#2?) checker stand by the main roll-up door. Two more pallets in backstock near the paint dept.

Store #615
435 W Katella Ave
Orange, CA 92867
(714)538-9600

Here is my email:

To Whom It May Concern:

I have been informed by friends and colleagues that Home Depot will discontinue to carry Rancher Orignal Charcoal. If true, I for one do not understand why your company would do this as this product purportedly produced 15% of your sales during the four day Memorial Day Weekend.

Moreover, I have personally purchased more than 40 bags of this charcoal and have begun to use it in my BBQ business and love it.
It is also my understanding that this product is the talk of the town on both the internet BBQ communities and the BBQ competition circuit.
Therefore, I think this product is of value to both Home Depot and your customer base.

Thanks for your consideration and I eagerly await your response,

Sincerely,
Stephan Franklin
The Simply Marvelous BBQ Company

Someone send them a note with a link to this thread ... and the one on the Smoke Ring, and on Barbecue News, and on BBQ Forum - well you get the picture.

Here is the message I sent:

Comments: Hello,
My name is Neil Strawder and I represent several thousand Barbecue
Enthusiasts who love a product you sell called Original Rancher Charcoal
Briquettes. I buy it 200lbs at a time and several members of our group
buy it by the pallet.

We are all a bit disappointed to learn that you will not be keeping
Original Rancher Charcoal as a regular product. We are all very pleased
with its performance and have been using it on a regular basis since it
became available in your stores. The people in our group use it in
restaurants, catering businesses, and in the Barbecue contests that you
see on TV.

We urge you to visit our website (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum) and look at the glowing reviews that this product receives and the praise
Home Depot gets for carrying it.

I hope you won't alienate all of these customers by discontinuing
this product.

Please forward a copy of the message to your product manager also.

Thank you for your time.

Neil Strawder
Owner
Bigmista Barbecue

This is the form message I got back:

Dear Neil,

Thank you for contacting The Home Depot.

Thank you for your kind words! Our company was built on the core value
of providing excellent customer service. We are always pleased to hear
when our customers have received the excellent service they deserve.

We will forward your kind words to the upper management at the Home
Depot store. Thank you, again, for taking the time to let us know that
we exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to your continued patronage and assisting you with all
of your home improvement needs.

Regards,

Vijay
The Home Depot.

This person either didn't understand or didn't read my message. But, I did get an email address instead of that stupid form on their site:

[email protected]

Let's take action and send a bunch of emails and get noticed!

Here is the response I got to my email and my original correspondence to them below it. It sounds like they are not quite getting it yet. I'm with Mista, let's hit them and hit them hard.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Chad,

Thank you for contacting The Home Depot Customer Care.We appreciate you taking the time to forward your concerns about the availability of Rancher All Natural Charcoal. Home Depot carries a wide variety of products and we attempt to replenish our selection based on customer's buying habits. We apologize that we do not carry Rancher All Natural Charcoal.If you would like to speak with a Customer Care professional, pleasecall us at 1-800-HOMEDEPOT (1-800-466-3337) and select option 3. We would be happy to assist you.

Sincerely,

Amon Customer Care

Original Message Follows:------------------------Contact Us Form Message From: Chad M. AndersSubmitted: 07-27-2007 02:30:34 PM EDTE-mail: Subject: Store Merchandise FeedbackStore Locator: Kansas City area storesService Number:Comments:

To Whom it May Concern:

I have been using a wonderful product I had been buying at HD this summer. It is Rancher All Natural Charcoal from the Original Charcoal Co. It is my understanding from the employees at the Belton, MO and a couple Kansas City area stores that this product was a one shot deal and they can't re-stock it. I am writing this to ask you to please reconsider and stock the Rancher Charcoal in the Home Depot chain. Also,remember that some of us BBQ year round and therefore need to buy charcoal more than just Spring and Summer.

Thank you for your time and please keep Rancher on your shelves!!!

Regards,Chad M. Anders

P.S. I know to a chain your size it's not important, but I bought 15 bags of Rancher a couple days ago in case you decide to drop it.There is a demand out here for the product. Please, keep it in your stores!

Thinking of sending a letter:

Dear Home Depot,

I understand you are discontinuing Rancher Charcoal. Don't you realize it works better than 90% of your employees? I have been trying to locate some Rancher in the local stores. It is harder to find than an employee when you need assistance. Maybe I should let Lowes know how happy BBq folks are with Rancher.:biggrin:

Thinking of sending a letter:

Dear Home Depot,

I understand you are discontinuing Rancher Charcoal. Don't you realize it works better than 90% of your employees? I have been trying to locate some Rancher in the local stores. It is harder to find than an employee when you need assistance. Maybe I should let Lowes know how happy BBq folks are with Rancher.:biggrin:

I like your letter. :-D You should send it since it is so true.

I have a cousin who is a District Manager for Home Depot. I'm going to call her and see if can get some info.

Doing my first cook with the rancher today. So far so good - I really like it in fact. Seems to ignite very clean, and ash seems minimal. There is MINOR sparking - certainly less than with any straight lump I have ever used. It does seem to burn a little quick though, but may be too early to tell.

Yesterday I went back and cleared out the last 5 straggler bags they had, after purchasing 10 bags earlier in the week.

I DO wonder, however, how much we would all be loving the Rancher at 6 bucks a bag. Imploring HD to carry the stuff is one thing, but expecting they would do it long term for 2.99 a bag is another.

So, my question, for those of you that have been using Rancher regularly, what is your standard price point per 20# bag?

I DO wonder, however, how much we would all be loving the Rancher at 6 bucks a bag. Imploring HD to carry the stuff is one thing, but expecting they would do it long term for 2.99 a bag is another.

So, my question, for those of you that have been using Rancher regularly, what is your standard price point per 20# bag?

I would be happy with it at $6 - $7 a bag, before the Rancher deal came around I was using Royal Oak lump & paying $6 for a 10 lb. bag. And you know that if the standard price was $7/bag they would still run it on sale a couple of times a year when we could all stock up.

I used some for the first time last night. Very satisfactory results. I 'll probably have to pick up some more to add to the 10 bags that I already have.

Did a little burn test Saturday comparing Rancher and RO Lump.
They both burned just about the same amount of time. The Rancher did have about 4 times the ash. But, at $2.99 compared to $7.69 (RO Lump) I think the Rancher is a pretty good charcoal and CHEAP.
I went out and bought another 20 bags of Rancher!!!
Smoke On!!!!!
http://usera.imagecave.com/kickassbbq/charcoaltest/

Used some Rancher yesterday for the first time. 2 racks/slabs of ribs and 2 fatties. Used Oak wood. The thing I noticed is that it seems to have no odor whatsoever when burning. And it did seem to shoot a few sparks out of the damper on the firebox, something I've never seen before with wood or Kingsford.

All of a sudden our local HD has Rancher for $2.99. :icon_clown :mrgreen: Great.

Now a new problem, I need to make space to store a chit load of the stuff.

Back