Rad Burgers

I also saw that. Supposedly the one with the vertical grills invented the hamburger. I think it is in Conn. This was interesting as was the steam burger

That's right.
Both of the burger joints I mentioned above are in Connecticut.
Most beautiful about Loui's Lunch I think is that they still use the same cast iron grills.

I also saw that. Supposedly the one with the vertical grills invented the hamburger. I think it is in Conn. This was interesting as was the steam burger

Here's the story on Louis Lunch:

Ground meat has been the cornerstone of sausage making for centuries, and there are numerous claims to the invention of the hamburger:

Louis Lassen at Louis Lunch in the heart of New Haven, CT. Legend has it that Lassen sold steak sandwiches and made ground beef patties from the trimmings. One day in 1900 a man rushed into the small luncheonette and ordered a quick meal that he could eat on the run. Lassen slapped a broiled beef patty between two slices of bread and sent him on his way. Before long, it was on the menu.

Established in 1895, Louis Lunch is still in business in the original building, which was moved in 1975, owned by Louis' grandson, Ken, and great grandson Jeff Lassen is behind the counter. Each hamburger is hand formed from beef ground fresh daily, cooked in the original 1898 vertical broilers with a flame on either side and served between two slices of toast. A sign on the wall says "This is not Burger King. You don't get it your way. You take it my way or you don't get the damn thing." His way would be cheese, tomato, and onion. Ken says "no true connoisseur would consider corrupting the classic taste with mustard or ketchup."

Remember, no rules in the bedroom or the kitchen,
Craig "Meathead" Goldwyn
http://amazingribs.com
the zen of barbecue

I in the past have made a version of the slugburger passed down from my dad. He would add white loaf bread or crunched up saltines. Whatever was available. He said this was to stretch the meat a bit, we grew up a bit broke!!:-D

So I've done a bit more research and here's what I've learned about the origin of the hamburger:

Ground meat has been the cornerstone of sausage making for centuries. The "Hamburg Steak" may have first been made from ground beef in Hamburg, Germany in the 14th century, and according to the Atlas of Popular Culture in the Northeastern United States by John E. Harmon food writer John Mariani claims the Hamburg Steak appeared first in the US on the menu of Delmonico's in NYC as early as 1834.

The hamburger sandwich seems to be All-American, and there are four credible claims to its invention. We may never know who was the real inventor.

1870 - Charles "Hamburger Charlie" Nagreen. Born in Wisconsin in 1870, at age 15 in 1885, Nagreen was selling meatballs at the fair in Seymour, WI. He smashed a meatball and placed it between two slices of bread so fairgoers could stroll the midway and eat at the same time. He named it after the Hamburg steak, a ground beef platter named after the city of Hamburg, Germany, and popular with the many German settlers in the area. Nagreen came back to the Seymour Fair, and others, for 65 years. Seymour now calls itself Home of the Hamburger and the fair celelbrates the handheld meal every year.

Late 1880s - "Uncle Fletch". Fletcher Davis of Athens, TX, best known for helping popularize hamburgers by bringing them to the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair is said to have sold them at his cafe on the Henderson County courthouse square as early as the late 1880s. A report in the the New York Tribune from the Fair described a hamburger sandwich, but did not name the vendor.
1885 - The Menches brothers. According to legend, two brothers from Ohio were vendors at fairs specializing in sausages cooked on a griddle. In 1885 they were at the Erie County Fair in Hamburg, NY, also called the Hamburg Fair, they ran out of sausage and all they could buy from the local butcher was some some chopped beef which they griddled and sold on bread.

1900 - Louis Lassen at Louis Lunch. Legend has it that Lassen sold steak sandwiches in the heart of New Haven, CT, and made ground beef "steaks" and meat loaf from the trimmings. One day in 1900 a man rushed into the small luncheonette and ordered a quick meal that he could eat on the run. Lassen slapped a broiled beef patty between two slices of bread and sent him on his way. Before long, it was on the menu.

Established in 1895, Louis Lunch is still in business in the original building, which was moved in 1975, owned by Louis' grandson, Ken, and great grandson Jeff Lassen is behind the counter. Each hamburger is hand formed from beef ground fresh daily, cooked in the original 1898 vertical broilers with a flame on either side and served between two slices of toast. A sign on the wall says "This is not Burger King. You don't get it your way. You take it my way or you don't get the damn thing." His way would be cheese, tomato, and onion. Ken says "no true connoisseur would consider corrupting the classic taste with mustard or ketchup."

Remember, no rules in the bedroom or the kitchen,
Craig "Meathead" Goldwyn
http://amazingribs.com
the zen of barbecue

Crabill's Hamburgers in Urbana, Ohio, does what is called "greasy burgers". They're balls of meat tossed onto a griddle loaded with grease. The grease is a special recipe. The place opened in its original location in 1927.

Best burger to get is a double with mustard (house made) and onions, dipped. Dipped means the top of the bun is dipped in the grease.

They've been listed in Hamburger America, and have made several top ten burger lists.

Back